Rainbows

livinisfishin

I like to go near water first.... never seen too many in my backyard. (sorry I just couldn't resist.) If you could be a tad more specific you might get more specific answers

After that just go and look around at what other people are doing. I bet there where over 1000 people fishing this morning on the various tribs in your area this morning.

You can't go wrong talking to a small tackle store for advice and what works in your area either.

try the Sturgeon river near Victoria Harbour, check the regulations when the season opens and give it a shot there. You can check with Backwater Tackle in Midland for advice and what you need to fish them.

Edited by mikeh

Hmm ive been there once, but never got into the fishing. Big ass thunderstorm that day lol had to leave early and drive to the bridge overpass in waubashene and fish under it for the rest of the night. I think the sturgeon is a hatchery in certain monthes, i ll have to read the regs.

I say stick to the tribs when the fish are running (provided the season is open).

Float fishing tends to be more productive (most of the time) in rivers.

Nothing beats time on the water. Lots of time.

Go to the guy catching the most fish and ask him what he is doing.

Be prepared for a few skunkings before you consistantly start to connect with fish.

Check the guide for eating fish to make sure what you want to eat is safe.

I have never fished for chrome up your way...so I really can't help you there. However if your main goal is to get a fish for the table...well...Rainbows are one of the worst tasting freshwater fish out there. And I have eaten plenty of freshwater fish. Rockbass and suckers caught in cold water are even far superior in MHO. If you just want to wet a line and hook a few fish....well they are alot of fun. But for food...do yourself a favour and target something else.

You have a pile of G. Bay tribes with in one hour. Start in Collingwood area. Pick a map, check the regs and off you go.

Fishing early season bows is what makes the adventure.

One word of advice, if you are fishing tribes that do not open til Last Sat in April, scout them out the week before to check for fish and water levels. Whatever you do, do not take any gear when you are scouting as it will land you a big fine and possible license suspension.

Then, get to the tribr super early on Sat morning (April 26 this year). By super early I mean 3:30 or 4:00am. If you are not there this early, you will be disappointed to find eveyone and his brother drifting the whole that you were hoping to fish. There are some great tribs between Collingwood and Meaford.

Also some of these tribes are open now with limited opportunites.

Well, personal taste is personal taste....I happen to love the taste of rainbow trout.

I agree as well....I guess it also depends what body of water the rainbow was pulled out of...

Here's a pic of the color of the meat from one of the rainbows we caught this summer in a remote lake north of the Iron Bridge area.....I'm drooling just looking at it!!!...same color as Pacific Salmon and just as tasty :thumbsup_anim:

20070801_0028.jpg

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

If the Nottawasaga River is not too far for you, it is a world class steelhead fishery. It is however a larger and one of the more difficlt river to fish if you are not experienced with rainbow fishing. The river is open year round from just north of Hwy 89 (where the notty meets the boyne) all the way down to the mouth of the river in wasaga beach. However the reg's have changed and I beleive the section from the boyne to the pine is now C&R only :thumbsup_anim: ,..but from the Pine on down is a 2 fish limit for sport license.

As already mentioned, the best method is float fishing but if you are unfamiliar with this and dont want to put in a few months learning (providing you have no guide), then I would recomend using a lite wieght spinning rod with a little length (9') or so, and a line rating of 4-8lb or so and use a flourocarbon or flouro coated (to save$$) line in the 6lb test range.

Small spinners and spoons work when the fish are aggresive,..bright colours especially pink for spinners work well.

As for float fishing, in the absence of you spending a few hundred$$ on a centre pin, and learning to use it for weeks or months, you could use a long ultralite rod (12-13') (4-8lb line rating) with a spinning reel, spool up with 8lb mono, atleast 100 yards, get some balsa floats in 4-5g range and some flourocarbon tippet,.. 6lb drennan is great for the notty, small split shots, small swivels and small #12 hooks.

As for bait, roe, wetflies and pink worms work well. the best time to head out is basically now until end of april and from october through december. Use the hyrdometric charts to see water levels, best fished a few days after a storm or melt and the water is dropping back toward its normal level.

Notty steelies generally range from 4-6lb although there are some 10lb+ fish to be had and IMHO, are the best fighting fish lb for lb with lots of aerials especially in oct and nov. As for eating them, try and release as many wild ones as you can and the fish over 4-5lb dont taste as good as the 2lbs, IMHO.

Hope this helps and good luck!!! once you catch a couple steelies, you will be addicted for life!!!