Danube Pickeral

Here are two beautiful walleye pickeral caught by my fishing buddy on the Danube in Novi Sad, Serbia. Now if you dont know much about the Danube, its a large river running through 7 countries consisting of many fish. From catfish to bass, from pike to sturgeon. Ive been fishing it every summer catching many catfish, whitefish and few pike. Their catfish population is like in a Tykyo subway. My granps would also complain after handling one, or sometimes two at a time of these specimens. He would leave every trip with many cuts and holes from the needle like spikes. Dunube use to be a very abundant, resourceful body of water, until recently when pollution dramatically set in. Every summer the Danube would see rises anywhere from 10cm to 20m, likewise were the drops. We would have some friends at a little town right on the Danube, about 10 mins from were we live. We would get calls from them about the water situation. We would decide to fish on the outcome of the houses proximity with water. Either they were flooded, which would be a bad time to go, or became davenport to the lake.

He caught them on a green and white twister tail with flakes on a jig. He says the biggest was around 5kg.

Enjoy...

smudj221.jpg

smudj111.jpg

Edited by urbanangler

yup nice river,only whenI surveyed it, the fishermen were taking the explosive off their improvised mines and using it for bait. That would be during the war. good to see things have changed

yeah this is good, although the laws and enforcement are still slugglish. In a poor country such as Serbia when it becomes difficult to help its citizens, it doesnt have enough money for officers of the environment. And most of the few officers we do have are private famers who take their own time to protect wildlife. They are paid very low by the government.

I lived in Budapest for two years in the mid 1990's. The Danube runs thru the city and at that time the city was depositing 1 million gallons of raw sewage daily into the river. 10k above the city was a little tourist town, Szentendre, we used to bike to regularly. There the river had a clean appearance although I'm sure the bacteria count was quite high there also the river was teaming with baitfish and fairly clear water. I didn't fish much when I lived there but I can attest to the fact that the Zander were very tasty. The Danube has the potential to be an amazing fishery.

I fished the Danube when I was 4 years old.... way back in the 60's! My Dad was from a small town right on the Danube and we visited there back then. I remember catching house flies as bait and that evening, everyone, but my brother, Mom and I were hard at it eating fish soup. A little too spicey for us at that age!

I also recall my Mom taking pictures of us playing in the river, only to have the Police confiscate her camera as they thought she was taking pics of their patrol boat.

I'm sure much has changed since then. Obviously the communist regime has fallen and a "free" market has taken over.

Thanks for the pics and the memories!

HH

I lived in Budapest for two years in the mid 1990's. The Danube runs thru the city and at that time the city was depositing 1 million gallons of raw sewage daily into the river. 10k above the city was a little tourist town, Szentendre, we used to bike to regularly. There the river had a clean appearance although I'm sure the bacteria count was quite high there also the river was teaming with baitfish and fairly clear water. I didn't fish much when I lived there but I can attest to the fact that the Zander were very tasty. The Danube has the potential to be an amazing fishery.

very cool, did u see the serbian monastery?

I fished the Danube when I was 4 years old.... way back in the 60's! My Dad was from a small town right on the Danube and we visited there back then. I remember catching house flies as bait and that evening, everyone, but my brother, Mom and I were hard at it eating fish soup. A little too spicey for us at that age!

I also recall my Mom taking pictures of us playing in the river, only to have the Police confiscate her camera as they thought she was taking pics of their patrol boat.

I'm sure much has changed since then. Obviously the communist regime has fallen and a "free" market has taken over.

Thanks for the pics and the memories!

HH

mmmm riblja corba!

or halas le

the finest!