who's your mentor

waterwolf

Because my mom and dad had split up when I was about 5 years old I was shipped off to the family farm near Port Perry every summer to stay with my grandfather (70) and his sister (82)...He taught me all the things a young lad should know...how to tie fishing knots, how to thread a "bob" together for catching bullheads, bought me my first penknife so I could clean them, how to fashion a net from an old curtain to catch frogs for bass fishing, how to tar the roof of an old model "T" etc. etc. I loved that old man !

Interesting fact:

The dog in the picture was my babysitter...because Port Perry was a 'dry' town my mom and grampa would leave me in the model "T" while they quaffed a couple of ales at the bootlegger's...evidently Ted would drape a paw over me and God help anybody who tried to come close...

My great-aunt was a strict teatotaller so beer and liquor was a forbidden in the house...and women didn't smoke of course... :whistling:

My Dad for sure. I can remember nights wide awake and jumping at the sound of "ready to go?" He used to take me to Little Lake off the 400. Would use only minnows under a yellow and orange bobber and catch pike throughout the day. My Dad still has all the gear he had back then. Long Eagle Claw rods and Dam Quick spinning reels. Poking around some boxes in the garage, I exposed an obscene amount of lures people would call vintage by now, creek chubs, pikie minnows, etc. I got him try my spinning set-up this year, he was amazed how far fishing tech has gotten. lol.

reefrunner

Definitely the Old Man.

It went beyond fishing. We were lucky enough to grow up in the sticks.

18 acres with a trout stream running through it. Pure heaven for 2 lucky boys to grow up in.

He gave my brother and I all the "tools" we ever needed.

Great post and some great old pictures.

Here's one of my favorites from a while ago.

popmark-old.jpg

Hookset.

Definitely my dad. He has taught me everything I know about fishing and can still outfish me on most days. His passion for fishing and being up north is unbelievable.

Nice LMB from Pigeon Lake where he has had a trailer for the past 3 yrs

P1050373.jpg

Nice Walleye from our Nipissing trip in spring 2007

P1070144.jpg

For sure it was my Dad.But he was cut down in his prime at the age of fifty from a bad heart.But he left my brother and I with lots of fond memeries of fishing and the great outdoors wich he loved .He is still sadly missed to this day.But now My Brother and I are each others mentors.Teaching each other what the other doesnt know.We often spend many hours on the water each year trying to out do each other.But at the end of the day we both come out winners.

Dan

My father has done so much and he's always done it with intelligence and skill. He did hunt, fish, skydive, play in a band, ski, fly, and scuba dive before me, only to later on build and fly model planes, become a professional photographer, target shoot, windsurf, ski some more, ride his Goldwing, become a computer whiz... I know I'm missing stuff.

We never went fishing when I was a kid... not that I can remember. He was a hockey and soccer dad for both us boys and taught us to ski as well. We'd camp more when we were young then when older we'd travel. Whatever the pursuit for my father, he was quick to learn about it and do well at it. Kind of a perfectionist... much like his two boys.

A friends father who took us into Quebec in my late teens opened my eyes to fishing. I had fished, but he was a fisherman. A fly fisherman. And to him fishing is a way of life. The act a masterful skill, the time spent most cherished, pursuit of quarry reflective of life challenges, the catch the pinnacle of all effort, and the stories his reward. I think the years I spent there chasing speckled trout built the foundation. A little later in the north I became transformed into an obsessive.

As far as being an angler goes... both men made the necessary contributions I think.

For me it would be this small old American called Peanut. My Dad inherited an old trailer on Lake Champlain Vermont in which he left us Kids and mom for the whole summer while he came up on the weekends from Mtl. I guess to get rid of me he told to go to Peanuts Wharf and fish. Believe it or not he gave me a leaf to use for bait. Two days straight I dangled this leaf in front of 2 Rock Bass under the dock. I guess old peanut felt sorry for me and told me to use a worm. Presto two Rock bass which I saved for three days to show my Dad. Boy did they smell. Anyways old Peanuts would take me out fishing in the Boat, help me with my line, gave me lures and so on. He was like a friend to a eight year old. I loved his stories and used to wait for him every time he went out fishing. Id be there always when he cleaned his fish, buckets of perch back then. He was a Prince of a man, who would take the time for a poor kid. He knew everything, if we didnt know an insect old Peanuts knew. I always think of him even though he must of passed on over 35 yrs ago.

Most definitely my dad. Not only did he teach me to fish but also the basics of my career. Learning outboard motor repair at 12 years old. I wanted an engine for a seaflea. He said theres an old 10 Johnson but it needs an overhaul, but you have to do it. I did,with a helping hand from dad. When I think back of how difficult I could be and how much patience he has I feel bad of my behavior at the time. What a great man he is. And his brothers are awesome too. All with special talents and all hunters and fishermen. Fortunate to have them all living within a few blocks of me in a small town. They are all getting up there but all in reasonable good health.

My Dad a couple years ago

Dadfishing04.jpg