long vs short shaft

ilario11

Hi folks:

Does it make much difference? I have a short shaft currently but I may buy a motor that is long shaft... I have a 14' boat and it doesn't have a very high tansom - about avg. Is there a concern that I could damgae the prop if it bottoms out while driving or boating? Should I stick to the short?

thanks!

PP

Well, if it is a short transom, you want a short shaft motor.

You can run a long shaft on a short transom, but you won't get the same performance, and you wont be able to go as shallow.....obviously.....won't hurt the engine though.

Sinker

I will say it should be OK as long as it's NOT an extra long shaft one.

say, if your old motor length is 15 ", and your new motor shaft is 20 ", performance will be affected a bit, but it should be OK in many environments.

Edited by linweir

I will say it should be OK as long as it's NOT an extra long shaft one.

say, if your old motor length is 15 ", and your new motor shaft is 20 ", performance will be affected a bit, but it should be OK in many environments.

other than a HUGH spray from the gearcase being way too deep not to mention you will need arms and shoulders like Popeye if its a tiller version to hang on to it when the props biting

I've got a long shaft 15 hp tiller on my 14' tinny, and a short transom (hey, I only payed $100 for the motor). It hauls, and is physically easy to operate. I'm sure I would be better off with a short shaft, but I get along fine with it. No excessive spray either.

Edited by Burning Babies

I've got a long shaft 15 hp tiller on my 14' tinny, and a short transom (hey, I only payed $100 for the motor). It hauls, and is physically easy to operate. I'm sure I would be better off with a short shaft, but I get along fine with it. No excessive spray either.

ohh I was talking 25 hp and greater havent had a 9.9-15 since I was 8

Jackplate......google it.

Sinker

ive got a CMC 5.5 jackplate on my boat not for differance in shaft length,its a 20 inch on a 20 inch transom,the jackplate does put a fair amount of stress on the transom they are rated to 300 hp thou,lifts/lowers 5 inchs either way