Free Topographic Maps??

reelinrolly

In my experience the one's Ive found are not worth the paper they're written on. Do yourself a favor and spend a few bucks, especially if you are boating! If you can't afford the actual Hydrographic maps then look into the Adventure Fishing Maps series, there not the best but they will keep you out of trouble for the most part.

Just my thought's, I've practically tried them all.

Good Luck

Try ontario fishing map project, type it in google. They have various lakes there and it is good for what you want. The only problem is there are not many lakes, don't know if the one's your interested in would be there. I have also search the Ministry of Natural resources and other gov sites and found info., good luck.

John

Even better than Toporama, figure out the index number of the map you need and download the appropriate map here:

http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix/50k_300dpi/

These are actual full size scans of the Ontario 1:50 000 topo maps. The same ones that cost you $ 12 in the store. Thank your tax dollars for this service.

Even better than Toporama, figure out the index number of the map you need and download the appropriate map here:

http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix/50k_300dpi/

These are actual full size scans of the Ontario 1:50 000 topo maps. The same ones that cost you $ 12 in the store. Thank your tax dollars for this service.

How do I go about figuring out which indes number I need??.....where do I find that info??

thanks DanC

wish i would have found that before i bought the set, but in hindsight it was a great investment, and worth every penny, ( i got a really good deal)

I just found this the other day myself. Topo detail is as good as Garmins topo Canada, but individual streets are not named, so there's the downfall. Not a bad map for free though.

• 4 months later...
How do I go about figuring out which indes number I need??.....where do I find that info??

Took me a while too but to find which number you need go HERE and zoom into the appropriate level to see the map number.

Kinda pointless cuz they're pretty much the exact same maps as the ones on the website. :(

I got the Ibycus for my Garmin unit. Took 2 full days to download. They are decent topographic maps IMHO. That being said, I beleive what you are looking for is Hydrographic Maps, as opposed to topo. So were are not showing you apples and you're asking for oranges, clarify what you are looking for.

By the way, I would be particularily interested if anyone can help this member with a Garmin Hydromap download :whistling: