Navionics Hotmap Canada 2007 edition

doubleheader

Good morning everyone. Can anyone comment relative to the accuracy and detail of this chip on the west arm of Nipissing? Are all the reefs accurately marked and located? I've been toying with adding a kicker motor but wonder if this chip wouldn't be an effective and inexpensive solution. Appreciate your feedback and have a great day. BTW, Cabelas has this chip ofr sale @ $99. Maybe cheaper elsewhere but just thought I'd add that to all interested.

I picked up the Hotmap Premiun 07 last year for the West Arm and was very impressed with it. I purposely came in close to alot of the structure to check the accuracy of the map and for the most part it was right on, but that's no guarantee that everything is marked 100%.

I spent 5 days cruising the Arm last August and had no problems at all.

Just be aware though, that NOTHING on the West Arm west of Hwy 64 is marked, it only shows the area to the east.

$99 for that chart is an incredible price, I think I payed $175 at West Marine in Toronto.

Before I purchased one I asked lew about his. He told me the chip does not cover west of highway 64 but he was satisfied with the detail east. Perhaps you should PM him about it. Also make sure the $99 is not the 2006 chip as there are far less lakes on it.

Oops guess Lew beat me

Edited by Garyv

It sure takes the jitters out of "playing" in Muskrat bay for sure !

Only shoaled the boat once (getting tooooo daring)...vs who knows how many times it would have happened trying to remember where we were on the paper map.

It's very accurate...so accurate that a day out with me changed Lew's train of thought and he bought his chip. And like Lew states... it shows NOTHING West of #64

Edited by irishfield

Guest skeeter99

hold off if you are buying one right now ie. 2006 or 2007

the new one for 2008 should be out in stores by febraury and they have added 33 lakes and alot of high definition maps of lakes already previously there

here are the links

http://www.navionics.com/HMPremium08Catalog.asp

http://www.navionics.com/Premium08LakeList.asp?RegionID=5

that is why the 2006 and 2007 chips are $99, still a great deal with lots of lakes

it shows everything in lake simcoe, very detailed

Edited by skeeter99

Guest skeeter99

well thanks guys for reminding me about this, they finally got the new one in stock for canada

i just ordered mine from bass pro $149 for a total of $169.95 shipped to my door

I wanted to upgrade my gold card anyway

now does anyone want to buy a navionics gold card for east great lakes and includes the kawarthas for $50

It sounds like the 07 chip is a worthwhile investment. For my purpose I'll be using the chip for the west arm exclusively and don't care too much about west of the Rt 64 bridge. Will the 08 chip be better than the 07 for areas east of the bridge? I'm waiting for an answer from Navionics, but in the meantime I snatched up one of the 07 chips from Cabelas thinking I could return it unopened in the unlikley chance Nipissing was substantially improved for 08. All I really care about is from Rt 64 east to the main lake; I've never even been further east than that. Hope it helps me stay off the reefs. They seem to attarct me like magnets. Thanks for the feedback everyone, it is very much appreciated.

I found this regarding the 2008 update on another site:

NEW 2008 Survey Lakes (the best data we have-collected by Navionics survey teams)

Buckhorn lake Ontario New Survey Lake 2008

Chemong Lake Ontario New Survey Lake 2008

Otonabee River Ontario New Survey Lake 2008

Pigeon Lake Ontario New Survey Lake 2008

Scugog Lake Ontario New Survey Lake 2008

Scugog River Ontario New Survey Lake 2008

Stony Lake Ontario New Survey Lake 2008

Sturgeon Lake Ontario New Survey Lake 2008

Lac Des Trente Et Un Milles Quebec New Survey Lake 2008

Lac Du Poisson Blanc Quebec New Survey Lake 2008

Lac Memphrémagog Quebec New Survey Lake 2008

Lac Victoria Quebec New Survey Lake 2008

Réservoir l'Escalier Quebec New Survey Lake 2008

NEW non-survey lakes added for 2008

Abamategwia Lake Ontario

Adam Lake Ontario

Agimak Lake Ontario

Agonzon Lake Ontario

Ahmic Lake Ontario

Anishinabi Lake Ontario

Aylen Lake Ontario

Beatty Lake Ontario

Bennet Lake Ontario

Berens Lake Ontario

Biddy Lake Ontario

Big Clear Lake Ontario

Big Salmon Lake Ontario

Birch Lake Ontario

Blackwater Lake Ontario

Borden Lake Ontario

Buckshot Lake Ontario

Burrows Lake Ontario

Burrows Lake Ontario

Canonto Lake Ontario

Canthook Lake Ontario

Catchacoma Narrows Lake Ontario

Cecil Lake Ontario

Centennial Lake Ontario

Clearwater West Lake Ontario

Clearwater West Lake Ontario

Coli Lake Ontario

Confusion Lake Ontario

Consecon Lake Ontario

Constance Lake Ontario

Copper Lake Ontario

Crystal Lake Ontario

Dalhousie Lake Ontario

Daniels Lake Ontario

Dead Otter Lake Ontario

Dorothy Lake Ontario

East Barbara Lake Ontario

Ellis Lake Ontario

Elm Lake Ontario

Eskwanonwatin Lake Ontario

Esnagami Lake Ontario

Esnagami Lake Ontario

Eva Lake Ontario

Eva Lake Ontario

Factor Lake Ontario

Fallingsnow Lake Ontario

Fernow Lake Ontario

Finlayson Lake Ontario

Finlayson Lake Ontario

Fortune Lake Ontario

Fushimi Lake Ontario

Gathering Lake Ontario

Gerogia Lake Ontario

Golden Lake Ontario

Gould Lake Ontario

Granite Lake Ontario

Greehedge Lake Ontario

Greenwater Lake Ontario

Greenwater Lake Ontario

Gull Lake Ontario

Hungry Lake Ontario

Huronian Lake Ontario

Icarus Lake Ontario

Iron Range Lake Ontario

Ivanhoe Lake Ontario

Jackinnes Lake Ontario

Kabinakagami Lake Ontario

Kabinakagami Lake Ontario

Kabitotikwia Lake Ontario

Kamaniskeg Lake Ontario

Kashawakamak Lake Ontario

Kennebec Lake Ontario

Kenogamisis Lake Ontario

Kenogamisis Lake Ontario

Kirkness Lake Ontario

Knowlton Lake Ontario

Kukukus Lake Ontario

Kwinkwanga Lake Ontario

Lady Evelyn Lake Ontario

Little Abitibi Lake Ontario

Mackie Lake Ontario

Marie Louise Lake Ontario

McKay Lake Ontario

McKenzie Lake Ontario

Mississagagon Lake Ontario

Mississauga Lake Ontario

Moraine Lake Ontario

Mosque Lake Ontario

North Wind Lake Ontario

Nym Lake Ontario

Obonga Lake Ontario

Onamakawash Lake Ontario

Onaman Lake Ontario

Pagwachuan Lake Ontario

Pakashkan Lake Ontario

Partridge Lake Ontario

Patterson Lake Ontario

Perch Lake Ontario

Perch Lake Ontario

Peterwhite Lake Ontario

Poshkokagan Lake Ontario

Prelate Lake Ontario

Pringle Lake Ontario

Redhorse Lake Ontario

Reta Lake Ontario

Round Schooner Lake Ontario

Rudge Lake Ontario

Salmon Lake Ontario

Scugog Lake Ontario

Serpentine Lake Ontario

Shaco Lake Ontario

Shawanabis Lake Ontario

Shawenegog Lake Ontario

Silver Lake Ontario

Smoothrock Lake Ontario

Sunbow Lake Ontario

Sunset Lake Ontario

Sydenham lake Ontario

Thirty Island Lake Ontario

Trapnarrows Lake Ontario

Upper Twin Lake Ontario

Voltaire Lake Ontario

Wabikoba Lake Ontario

Wawang Lake Ontario

Waweig lake Ontario

Weikwabinonaw Lake Ontario

Weller's Bay Ontario

Wensley Lake Ontario

West Lake Ontario

White Otter Lake Ontario

Whitesand Lake Ontario

Wildgoose Lake Ontario

Wintering Lake Ontario

Grand lac Bostonnais Quebec

Lac Beauchêne Quebec

Lac Bryson Quebec

Lac Carrière Quebec

Lac des Commissaires Quebec

Lac Désert Quebec

Lac du Bras Coupé Quebec

Lac Dufault Quebec

Lac Édouard Quebec

Lac Faillon Quebec

Lac Jean-Péré Quebec

Lac Preissac Quebec

Lac Wayagamac Quebec

The following are not new, but UPDATED for 2008 (usually means more/better info or accuracy corrections...sometimes it is hard to see the differences)

Wolfe Lake Ontario

White Lake Ontario

Suel Lake(Lac Seul) Ontario

Six Mile Lake Ontario

Redstone Lake Ontario

Paudash and Lower Paudash Lakes Ontario

Otty Lake Ontario

Mississipi Lake Ontario

Loughborough Lake Ontario

Lake Three Mile Ontario

Lake Temagami Ontario

Lake Opinicon Ontario

Lake Mazinaw Ontario

Kennisis Lake Ontario

Kawagama Lake Ontario

Kahshe Lake Ontario

Jack Lake Ontario

Healey Lake Ontario

Haliburton Lake Ontario

Gull Lake Ontario

Eagle Lake Ontario

Devil Lake Ontario

Charleston Lake Ontario

Chandos Lake Ontario

Bobs & Crow Lake Ontario

Black Lake Ontario

Big Gull Lake Ontario

Baptisite and Elephant Lakes Ontario

Lac Waconichi Quebec

Lac Mistassini Quebec

Lac Brome Quebec

Lac Albanel Quebec

Okanagan Lake British Columbia

Réservior Gouin Quebec

Thought you all might want to know. BTW it appears Nipissing is unchanged from 2007.

Kinda neat to go west of 64 and see yourself motoring along on dry ground. Maybe someday it will be updated.

Was kinda funny looking on the screen for sure..line on a blank background...... but you can still mark your waypoints when you find fish. And follow your line in the dark without hitting the shoals.

Guest skeeter99

that's right irish, if you make it there without crashing stick to that line like glue and you will be good, and for that matter save it as a trail so you will have it forever!!!

then of course offload all your wayppoints and trails onto your pc in case your gps goes south on you and you will have a backup file

happened to me once already gps died, lost a few newer points but nothing to hard that I could not find again and remark

Peter, the way I see it is this. Navionics is good stuff but it's basically offered in two main categories, marine charts and lake maps. At the begining there were just marine charts. At that time, not every Tom, Dick and Harry had a chartplotter. Consequently, they were offering the marine charts to people using "navigable waters" which for North America included the entire west coast (Pacific) and the entire East coast (Atlantic). This also included main inland waterways such as the St Lawrence to the Great Lakes. In our case, there were three usable chips for Ontario and Quebec. The 900, 901 and 902 chips which covered some of the great Lakes and the Larry all the way out to the Maritimes. The middle chip, the 901, has Lake Ontario the Rideau System (navigable) the Trent System (navigable) which includes the Kawarthas. Georgian Bay and Lake simcoe was/is on that one as well. Well, wouldn't you know it, the powers that be saw fit to remove the errors in satelite transmission making reception of more accurate location available to everyone. Plotters came down in price and we now had folks screaming to have their favorite lakes available....not an easy task.

So, Navionics adds another series of maps to their lineup and call them lake maps. These are more or less an addendum chip to the marine charts because of customer demand. These lake chips were available for 5 or 6 sections of the States and one section for Canada. The Canadian lakes chip had (very approximate numbers) 40 lakes in BC, a few in Alberta, 4 in Saskatchewan, 80-90 in Ontario and about 120 in Quebec. The maps of the main navigable waterways (marine charts) were the same maps you were buying for $20 or so for a very small section from the Canadian government.

Today, they are adding maps as demand warrants and as they are available to them from what I can see. So, today, if you buy a lakes map, there are chances that there won't be any waters that are contained in the marine charts.

That should be fairly clear......it's only 6:30PM :-)

I have both the Great Lakes charts and Hotmaps Premium Canada, and I love them both. The Great Lakes charts are quite accurate. The Hotmaps Premium Canada isn't all that accurate, but close. I found that out quickly, narrowly missing a reef one day in the middle of a lake that wasn't on the Hotmaps Premium.

The Hotmaps Premium is a great starting point and it gives you most of the structure on the lakes, helping to narrow your search for potential fishing spots... I would say about 90 percent. You do have to be careful navigating with Hotmaps though.

Lakes on the Great Lakes Charts that are also on the Hotmaps Premium Canada have more detail on the Great Lakes Charts - FYI.

I can't live without both Navionics SD cards. What did we do before we had these? Oh yeah, triagulate spots until you find your spot and mark a waypoint, haha. Which I still have to do on lakes that aren't on the Navionics charts.

Aaron