Ontario Smallmouth Fishing

mweidmanks

I have gone to Ontario for close to 30 years for smallmouth. I used to go to Namakan Lake but when I was transfered to New Hampshire I started going to eastern Ontario. Lake Simcoe and other eastern Ontario locations are too far from Kansas and way to far if you are going to pull a boat.

The lodge I went to has closed. If I were you I'd look at Rainey Lake as first choice, Lake of the Woods second and the Antikokan area third. Small mouth season has been open year around in western Ontario and as far as I know it still is. I prefer a boat in lodge, cooking for ourselves and you can find several on Rainy and Lake of the Woods.

Rainy (I haven't fished there in over 30 years) gives you a great chance for 4 pounders with 5's or 6's not out of the question. New regulations have been imposed on some of the border waters with a maximum size on SMB's of 13.4". The last time I was up we weren't catching any walleyes and needed fish for dinner. Our biggest problem was getting a few smallies small enough to keep and eat My favorite weeks were the second and third weeks in June with the first week following closely behind.

I don't know where you are in Kansas (my wifes family was from Smith Center and a brother in law worked at K State in Manhattan) but the trip is as easy as getting over to I35 in KC MO and heading north. When you get near Duluth you can cut off a few miles by going through Cloquet to Rte. 53.

A great place to fish for bass would be in lake erie.

Go to a place called Dunville then launch your boat at the mouth of the river. Then leave the river and turn left after about ten to fifteen minutes you will see an island (Gull Island) then fish between the mainland and the island

PS: the Island has a light house

For quantity, sometimes quality and more reliable conditions (not as rough) hit up the Haliburton area. Pick a lake and drop a tube chances are you'll get tons.

For quality, Lake Simcoe has it. Lots of people nailing 5lb+ fish there all the time. Just gotta keep an eye on the weather.