Swimbaits

mbac31

Started trying them last year. I either catch big agressive fish on them or nothing at all.

Used the 10 inch Storm for lakers in Nipigon and only got one hit but the fish was so big I couldnt move it! I need to use them more and have more confidence in them.

Started trying them last year. I either catch big agressive fish on them or nothing at all.

Used the 10 inch Storm for lakers in Nipigon and only got one hit but the fish was so big I couldnt move it! I need to use them more and have more confidence in them.

Thats what I'm thinkin, maybe a 4-5 bite day for bass but they would be biggins.

I've started using swimbaits a lot more when fishing pike and musky. I typically use the 3 inch white ones, and sometimes perch coloured. Like Bucktail hinted at, they seem to be hard to develop any sort of confidence in. I first used them three or four years ago and didn't have any success with them. So of course they found the bottom of my tackle bag pretty quickly. Then I spoke to a guy who uses them all the time and catches some really nice fish. It seems I was using them all wrong. At first I was trying to rip them through weed beds at about 4 or 5 feet deep. This guy said that was exactly my problem, and suggested I start using them differently. I typically fish on Northern Ontario lakes that have a lot of rocky structure...reefs, shoals, drop-offs, etc. My favourite way to fish them is to throw them right on top of a reef or ledge and when they hit the water, rip them back 10 or 15 feet and then let them fall. Often fish, if they're going to hit, will strike on this first fall. If not, I continue the pattern with quick retrieves of 5 to 10 feet, then quick falls. As the swimbait falls deeper and deeper, it feels more and more like you're actually jigging it. I have yet to get a bass on one.

Also, I seem to have greater success with medium sized swimbaits, i.e. the 3 and 4 inch models, than I do with either the large (6 inch) or small (2 inch). Maybe its just that the medium sized ones tend to work best for the way I like to present them.

If there is one problem I have with these baits, it's that the hook is not in the best spot. I've had a lot of tail bite-offs. By that I mean fish will just take the little wiggly tail and miss the hook all together. If only there was a way to mount a hook in the tail.

One more thing, I like to keep a swimbait rigged as a throwback for those big pike and musky that follow bucktails and stick-baits right up to the boat and then spook. A lot of people use little jigs and plastics as throwbacks. Try a swimbait...they're easier to throw when you're in a hurry because they're heavy, and they sink down to those spooked fish a lot quicker. just a thought.

HI,

I used swimbaits a great deal last year, and they are becoming a favorite very fast. I have generally be experimenting with different jig head weights and hook size, and different swim bodies. My favorite so far is a Gary Yamoto 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz jig head for swimbaits, and a 5inch Berkly saltwater swimshad(Can you say In-Fishermen) in herring(gold color).

I really like the swimbaits cause you can fish them deep/shallow, fast/slow. I also like them because during the same fishing, you can and will catch pike, walleye and smallmouth.

I had to learn what the bite actually felt like. Most fish just grab the swimbait and you just feel a little weight or tic, and then its time to jerk.

Ive been using them for Bass for about 4 years after fishing a few California Lakes.

They do select for bigger fish but they are tools that need a particular committment and mindset to really see the benefits of. I would highly recommend BBZ to really get into it large.

Basstrix Minnow (Hollow bodied swimbait) is now all the rage- Berkley will have a version out after Bassmaster Classic.

I throw a few by Huddlestone, 3:16 and California Swimbabes. Some of the Storm lures that suspend are good if you can find them (SLAB CRAPPIE).

I'm onto a mind set of 2-3 bites per day which are usually photo worthy fish (5 lbs+).

My log book for Toronto Harbour reveals for 2007, 13 Swimbait Largemouth of 4lbs or better over 32 "trips". I caught an equal number on

jig and Senko respectivly but now do catch fish from "different water" then I used to fish so I guess thats a plus.

I never used to use them until I was casting a Storm Kicking Minnow and caught my Personal Best Pike I now use the smaller storm baits to for smallies, largies, and pike. You definately won't catch tons of fish but the bass that you will catch will be huge! I have also caught 1 walleye on the smaller storm swimbait. I would definately recommend them but you have to have confidence in them and don't expect to catch quantity but instead quality.

been using them for a few years

and they work real well

from panfish to muskie you just need to use the right size for the fish you are fishing

for walleye you can rip them through the weeds then swim them once you are out of the weeds

I tried a big one that was a spinner bait with a large willowleaf blade didn't catch muskie but a few big largemouths liked it

I've been using them for a couple years now. Mostly the storm and calcutta swimbaits. Great on smallies and walleye and like others have said they seem to attract the larger fish. The wife got here pb walleye 8+ lbs

two summers ago with a calcutta in a mullet color pattern.

The 6" models of storm with and without lip are deadly on lakers in white or pearl. Maybe one of the most effective reef casting lures ive found. I also had decent success trolling them when spoons werent getting much attention. The 10" version of the swim shad is frustrating in a way because it got a lot of hits but few hookups, however the hookups were all big fish.

For pike I stopped throwing them because if you get into numbers I was finding they'd rip the tails off faster than I care to buy them.

The 6" models of storm with and without lip are deadly on lakers in white or pearl. Maybe one of the most effective reef casting lures ive found. I also had decent success trolling them when spoons werent getting much attention. The 10" version of the swim shad is frustrating in a way because it got a lot of hits but few hookups, however the hookups were all big fish.

For pike I stopped throwing them because if you get into numbers I was finding they'd rip the tails off faster than I care to buy them.

I'm finding that you have to rig the bigger baits with a treble stinger. Most guys are using wire to connect them.

Just like this

IMGP0540.jpg

I will be using alot of the bigger swimbaits this year.

rhRainbow.jpg

I bought some YUM Samuri Shads (saltwater bait) last year that I had seen Bob Izumi using on the Detroit River for walleye. On the river I caught a master angler white sucker on them but no walleye. Then I went up to my in-laws cottage in Houghton Lake, MI & I caught a lot of walleye on them along with some smallies & big rock bass. They are now my new confidence lure. I also tried some Storm kick'n minnows out on Lake St. Clair but haven't caught anything on the them yet.

I fished swim jigs a lot last season for eyes, LM and SM. I have been using the Yamamoto 3 and 5" bodies on swimjig heads and as spinnerbait trailers with very good success. My best big fish lure this summer was a buzzbait with a 3" swimbait trailer (no skirt). It looks crazy, but casts way better than a typical buzzer and catches big fish. I thijk the swimjig works really well on fish that have seen lots of spinnerbaits.

My biggest surprise this year was using them on lakers and splake. I rig them with a circle hook stinger hook through the tail: http://www.swimbait.com/trout/index.html

I love using crankbaits as well. These type of baits for some reason just drives the bigger bass crazy, not sure if its the bigger bait theory or what. I know they just work. Here are some pics of my favorite ones, these are the hollow center Basstrix baits

TackleandGearforEbaylist115.jpg

TackleandGearforEbaylist116.jpg

TackleandGearforEbaylist117.jpg

TackleandGearforEbaylist118.jpg

Bass magnet in Ontario are making ones that look just like these and local to. Sure beats having to buy them from the US.

I cant wait to get a chance to use these either. They are a bait from Lucky Craft from Japan called a Snap Kick. They are a sinking bait like a crankbait that are awesome, we will see

TackleandGearforEbaylist120.jpg

TackleandGearforEbaylist119.jpg

Second one is a AC plug Minnow 7" . I have it modified to be a sinking minnow as well. Just done with lead weight into the body of the bait and tested in a fish tank from home.

TackleandGearforEbaylist122.jpg

TackleandGearforEbaylist121.jpg