Advice needed... Waubaushene area...

mcallister.grant

Hey All,

DMasse, Simcoe Jon and I are heading out for an all day adventure to the arctic region of Waubaushene for some walleye action tomorrow. Have any of you EVER fished there or have you recently heard any type of report redgarding the action? Any advice or tips you can give us would be greatly appreciated!

GM

Bring a shovel with you, snowing like a good think here right now....calling for squalls all day today....sorry I wasn't more help in the fishing dept. Grant, hope you guys have a great time, and if I wasn't busy tomorrow I'd join ya :D

Maureen

Not sure you want to try there .....yet....

Before the "thaw" there was a village out there....

After the thaw....no huts remained, they were all pulled into shore....there is a very very strong current there, as they had opened up the locks at Port Severn to drain some of the water from the overflow...

With the snow from last night and happening today, I wouldn't suggest going out there at all.

Yeah Terry....I wouldn't be going out there right now, thats for sure. I've got almost 8 inches of snow on my deck, if not more and there was none on it yesterday!!! Its the real fluffy stuff, so these cold temps the next few days will help with the ice build up for sure. By the end of the week, should be fine.

Guest gbfisher

As funny as this may sound. Wayne and Mo don't ice fish Wab. :D Azulu Does and has been out this year. When the ice WAS safe!!! The channel can lose 8" in an evening when they open up the locks. That's exactly what has happened. It happens every year when we get our January thaw.

If I were you Grant, I'd stick to the Shallow bays of Penetang and Hogs bay or Victoria harbour for pike.

I stopped ice fishing up there when they implemented the slot and number of fish you can keep. Not worth risking your life for 2 small fish. If you are lucky enough to catch one that is.

It's a long walk out and if the squalls start, you will not be able to see back to shore and you can walk right into open water.

Good luck with what ever you decide. Lots of other places to go with safer ice up that way. Be safe!

Yup GB not funny, just true. even when I lived there I didn't fish it, but have seen many others do so. I've cleaned the diveway once already and will likely have to do it again before I head out to Barrie in a couple of hours. From what I can tell lots of good ice on the north side of Penetang Bay, likely Midland as well although I haven't been by there for a bit.

Grant, did you call those numbers I sent you for the tackle shop and Pier 69?

Maureen