Florida Bass Fishing

Stoty

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows of some decent lakes to go Bass fishing near Venice, Florida?

I know there are a bunch of great lakes near Orlando/Kississimee (thats where I caught my avatar picture fish), but I wont be anywhere near there this time, so I was hoping someone knows of a spot close (within an hour or so) from Venice?

Any help is much appreciated!

Goodluck on your trip down to FLA Stoty.

Although I can't help you with any bass fishing lakes, I do know there is a nice pier to fish just a couple miles north of Venice. It's a place called Nokomis and there is a nice beach and pier there they call North Jetty Park. Check it out on Google Maps and you get nice directions and a good satallite shot.

Although I haven't been there in years, I do remember catching lots of jacks and snappers. Also, when the season is right, I saw people catching drum as well. There used to be a little tackle shack right there that supplied folks with live shrimp, which on most days is the ticket off the pier.

Nice easy way to fish and very close to Venice.

I've fished the beach at Nokomis and off the pier as well. Whitings (good eater!) were all I caught off of the beach with shrimps as bait. You can always dig up sand-fleas for bait at the water edge when the shrimps ran out. Jacks, sea trout and Kingfish are supposed to be in the same area if you're using lures. Jigs work on anything there when tipped with bait. I saw a guy fishing for barracuda off the pier with a long tube lure but didn't stick around for the result.

Just a head-up you will need a non-res freshwater license for sweet water and a saltwater license for the salt. You can purchase them online before you get there so no time is wasted ;)

Tightline and hang on!

Assuming you're flying, just make sure all your fishing gears are in the check-in luggages. They don't take kindly to sharp objects like hooks and whatnot in the carry-on. The airline managed to lose (and found) my 6' rod tube so don't take your finest gears either. 3 or 4 pieces rod actually fits inside the check-in luggage so it's much safer from disappearing . . . There's a $40 4-pcs spinning one at LB (Daiwa?) that should fits the bill nicely.

To keep you freshwater gear working, it's advisable to shower with your rod :whistling: after each use to get rid of the corrosive salt . . . For gaw sake, mind the hook B)

Enjoy and post lots of pixs! So jealous . . .

Ha ha ha, thanks for the advice.

Luckily, my in-laws are driving back to Florida this week, so they are taking my stuff down with them.

That way I dont have to worry about anything being lost, stolen, or broken by the sometimes-ignorant airport staff!

Showering with my rods.......good idea, but I can just imaging what my wife is going to say! hahahaha

I am really hoping to top my PB (in the picture). I REALLY want to join the 10 lb club!

Things may have changed but we didn't need to have a saltwater license on the piers we paid to fish off of...They all sold bait and tackle and if it is a one time thing you can usually rent a rod and reel...

We purchased a combo rod and reel at Wal Mart and found it paid for itself after 4 days by only having to pay admission to the pier vs rental ($6.00) + admission ($3.50)...

Loads of fun...I envy you... :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Beans

You do not require a fishing license if you are fishing from a pier or a charter boat. If you are planning in fishing on your own, you will need either a freshwater or saltwater license. You can get it online at:

http://myfwc.com/

or you can purchase one locally.

I go down to FLA every summer,and I have yet to go freshwater fishing, as I can do that here in Ontario. Saltwater fishing is a different beast altogether, and can be quite challenging and very entertaining. The mistake I made a few years ago was thinking that saltwater fishing would be easier, as there is always something biting in the ocean. Each species from Snook to Tarpon have there own methods.

Your best bet for successful saltwater fishing is to learn from the locals. There is a great board based out of the Tampa Bay area:

http://capmel.com/

I've found the site and the members very helpful, and I do credit it with improving my surf fishing. I'm also registered on that board as Bassman.

If you've got money to spend, I highly recommend you go on a charter. You're not that far from the Tarpon capitol of Florida (Charlotte Harbour).

Anyways, if you need any more info, please feel free to PM directly, I can yap about FLA fishing for hours.

Cheers!

Oh and another thing, Stoty. If you like eating fish, there's a place between Venice and Nokomis, I believe, called 'Walt's Fish Market." Reeeeally afordable prices and a great selection. It's the first place I ever tried 'gator and it was delicious! Yup, you can actually get alligator and fries there!!!

Back to the pier.. a lot of the 'regulars' went pretty basic, fishing with egg sinkers and a leader length of about a foot or two. Shrimp was the bait of choice.

Bring a camera. The sunsets are amazing. And you'll probably see dolphins coming in close to shore. The fisherman never really liked 'em cuz they figured they spooked the fish. I thought they were pretty neat to see, though.

Venice is on the southwestern coast? Most of the better bass lakes are in the central region I believe. One of my buddies went down some years back, took the family, while the wife and kids visited Disney Land he went fishing, hired a guide for a couple days, shiner fishing and got a 10+. Depends on how hard you can hit it and how much you want to spend.

10+ Pretty common down there, pretty rare here $$$.

I don't think there are any big lakes in the Venice area but I'm sure that there are tons of small ponds. I lived in Florida for most of my life and can tell you that there are huge bass in lots of those small ponds. I lived on the east coast of Florida and from the North to the South of the state there are tons of bass in small ponds. A rod in the trunk and your set to go. My biggest bass, a 10lber came out of a two acre Golf course water hazard. I always had success with unweighted Zoom Flukes and Senkos, 1/4oz buzz baits, and top water poppers. Use light line and don't be loud because the fish in these ponds don't get a lot of pressure and their very spooky. You can have allot of fun fishing the small ponds just be careful for water moccasins and Turtles. Don't forget a license... Good Luck!

-Ben

:Gonefishing: Hope your trip works out for you and all with you have a wionderful time visiting/angling our Venice, Florida Paradise. I live in North Port, 18 miles south of Venice, but fish usually in Venice about 85%of the time for both freshwater and salt. For even a better treat you need to visit Snook Haven on the Myakka River, a wonder in fishing and views. Where else can you fish at eyeball level with a 14 foot gator catching large mouth Florida Bass of the five to seven pound variety on a low tide; switching gear on tidal change to Snook, Reds, Trour and small Bull sharks on the incoming tides. Play lazy and catch freshwater bull or flatheads (catfish) with some chicken liver and blue crabs with the fried chicken bones left over from your lunch? North Port has over 1500 miles of freshwater canals loaded with over 42 varieties of freshwater fish too include, Black to Peacock Bass and Chilids or Oscars. The Little Manatee River as well the Upper Manatee offers bassin as well the lakes of the Myakka, all within 20 miles of downtown.

Great fishing in area lakes

By

By Corbin Dyer

Corbin is a local outdoors writer for one of our local angling publications that comes out weekly, the lakes mentioned are anywhere from an hour to two hours from Venice, depending on the time of year and traffic.

Miles of open beaches to surf fish along with two jetties of the Venice Inlet. Sharky's on the Pier to the south on Harbor Road offers an outside restauarant on the beach with a 720 foot fishing pier regulated by the city, its police officers and our group The Island Anglers. You can find more information on fishing every pier in florida as well rules and what not on their website The Island Anglers. Hope this helps you on your trip and when your down, give me a holler and maybe we can hook 'em up. "FISH ON!"

Edited by GAA

Wow, that's great info GAA.

It brings back memories because my folks had a place in North Port years ago( Chicopa Street ). They used to rent it out to people who went to the Warm Mineral Springs, back in the day.

Anyhoo, I forgot all about those rivers out North Port way. They sound like terrific fisheries that I WISH I explored more when I used to visit there regularly.

Thanks for that.

Edited by Mike Pike

Wow, thanks very much for all the info everyone!

I was in touch with a Bait & Tackle store out of Sarasota and they also said the Snook Haven is the place to go.

They are also one of the only places to rent boats, so I hear.

I am really hoping to join the 10 lb club this time down!

My last trip down resulted in my PB of just over 9lb (my avatar picture).

Thanks again for all your info. Its much appreciated!

I have spent quite a bit of time in Venice, Stoty and have only fished the salt-like Mike said , the north Jetty is always a great draw , Iv'e caught some nice snook, reds, mackeral bluefish, pompano-MMMMMMmmm !! drum, sheephead and even small sharks, good luck-let us know how you do.

Glad to be of help. And when your down here please give me a shout and maybe I can hook you up with a big Bull Shark. Don't worry about equipment on the sharks between myself and our club members we will get er done. Should you get the chance, our shark guys & gals have a website at The Island Anglers. Check it out for tides, info and whatever for fishing the Venice area because that is what we do...Fish Venice.

Hey guys,

I just called Snook Haven in Venice, but they dont rent motor boats out, they only rent canoe's and kayaks.

I am a little timid about being in a canoe with 12 ft gators in the river.

Does anyone know where I can rent a boat around the venice area (for freshwater fishing).

I really hate just having to fish from shore, but if worse comes to worse, I guess I will have no choice!

Until Ben_Daniels mentioned 'water moccasins', the thought never did entered my mind. Yike, all these time I'm casting from tall grass and not looking at where I'm stepping . . . Speaking of water hazards, you can try your hand fishing along the east/west highway to Miami also known as the 'Alligator Alley'. Tall chain link fences erected between the roadway and the water edge to keep the alligators from messing with traffic :lol: Beautiful bass water on the alligator side of the fence too :rolleyes:

I think I like beach fishing a lot better. The things remotely dangerous I've encountered are: stingray pod, 6" baby shark, an aggressive blue crab walking along the water edge. Too bad the crab didn't bring along a bunch of his buddies, crab dinner would have been just as nice ;)