Fridge Crapped out (NF)

Sherriff

Hey guys, my 5 year old Maytag fridge just quit the other day. It was making a little more noise than normal the day before and the very next day, everything inside was defrosted. The fan was running and it was humming away but only warm air.

My question is, should I even bother to try to get this thing looked at or are they not worth fixing anymore. This was an extra basement fridge so it is not really that important but I hate to just chuck out a 5 year old appliance....

THanks

Sherriff

Unless it was something I could fix myself, I have not repaired appliances. With the cost to buy new (600? 700?) versus the cost to repair ($200?) I'd rather have a new warrantied appliance. Maybe you can find a second hand shop that will repair and re-sell it? And if you don't need a bi fridge in the basement, those half size fridges are only a couple hundred bucks.

Sherriff,

That is a tough call when the unit is only 5 years old. In my opinion, if it is a problem with the sealed hermetic system (such as compressor failure or refrigerant leak), then they are not worth repairing. On the other hand, if it is only a control problem, then it is definitely worth getting it repaired.

Can you do any further investigation and get back to me?

The fan still running inside indicates that the unit is not stuck in defrost mode. It could be the temperature control (thermostat), a burned wire at the compressor, a faulty overload snap disk, compressor relay problem, etc. These are all cheap to repair.

Did you experience any power bleaps? The unit may have short cycled and is now cycling on the overload. You did mention a noise earlier. This may indicate compressor issues. Pretty hard to diagnose from behind a keyboard! LOL

At that age, the unit is still pretty energy efficient. The old ones are pigs on power and should be replaced.

I suggest going on-line and checking for recalls of your unit.

I've hit the recall jackpot several times. Most recent was replacement wheels for my pressure washer. Before that was a $2700 replacement of ABS system on a Dodge Caravan. Both were discovered by going on-line. The companies did not notify me of either problem.

I've received about $600 of replacement items on my 2002 Honda Odyssey through the Honda Goodwill Program. The van was out of warranty at the time. I also understand that Honda may be replacing inferior tranmissions up to 200,000 miles through the goodwill program. They know the transmission is bad and they are attempting to do the right thing.

One of my employees damaged a two month old Canon copier through misuse. I contacted a company representative by phone and explained exactly what happened and asked what I should do. They made the copier good as new as a one time perk for using Canon products. My cost would have been nearly as much as the new price. Later I found out the same employee attempted to illegally download music to an office computer, but that's another story. I avoided jail because I didn't kill her.