Please I need advice

daisy_girl58

No different than filleting most other fish. Or, scale,gut,lop off the heads and fry like small trout and the meat will fall off either side of the backbone and ribcage. There is a third way, bit more labour intensive unless you've got the knack, lop off the heads, cut along either side of the back just under the skin, blade outwards, grab the edge of the skin and tug back and downwards, the skin/scales will come off with the guts attached. The tailfin makes a good handle.

First of all, practice practice practice.

Perch are cousin to the Walleye so they probably do have the Y bones.

The quickest, simplest, and easiest way is to first.. learn the anatomy of the fish.

I don't bother filleting small fish like Perch. Scale them, cut the heads off and gut them... then cook which ever way you prefer. If you know the anatomy of the fish you can lift the meat off the bones and you don't have to worry about it.

If you insist on filleting them, the biggest ones will be the easiest.

The best way is to watch first hand from someone who has the knack or you could study youtube.

Eventually, after practicing on a few buckets, you will develop your own style that is quickest, and the least labour intensive for YOU. Dont believe anyone that claims that their way is the best because ive found that the "best" way to fillet fish is the way that allows you to complete the task with the least amount of frustration.

And having 30+ perch in front of you with a fillet knife in your hand can be frustrating.

You need a good sharp small knife. I use a 4" rapala for perch. Has to be good and sharp, and you have to keep it sharp. I find perch are the worst fish for taking the edge off a knife. After a few, run the knife on a steel to get the edge back. It makes all the difference in the world.

I do them exactly like I would a walleye. One tip I do is to cut down both sides of the backbone before removing the first fillet. I find once you remove the first side, the second can get a little sloppy. If you just cut along the backbone on one s ide, then fillet off the other side, its much easier, and better quality fillets.

Sinker