Ice Fishing Around Huntsville???

reelinrolly

I live just south of Huntsville.

We've been fishing some small lakes for a couple weeks now.

But these are lakes we know real well. On average we have about 5" of good ice but last time out had a ton of slush from all the snow we have received. As far as the big lakes go....NO WAY.

Be careful and check, check, check, for thickness whatever lake you try up here at this time of year.

But I'm not heading to any big lake here yet. As of a couple days ago most large lakes still had no ice on the main basins. I'm heading out Crappie fishing this afternoon so I'll let ya know the conditions when I get back tonight.

Hookset.

Got out only long enough to check the conditions and see if I could find some fish.

There was 4" of good black ice with about 2" of crap on top.

No slush which was nice to see (or not see).

These conditions were on a pretty big bay - south end, in 30 to 40 feet of water.

I still wouldn't head out into the main basin though.

Definitely was ok for walking and someone had a skidoo out there too.

Managed to jig up a couple slabs then headed home.

Gonna head back in the morning and see how we do.

So I guess there's safe ice to be found up here, but definitely not everywhere.

Safety first :thumbsup_anim:

Hookset.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a cottage at the south end of big doe for 3 yrs. now, and i would have to agree with you about the over fishing. hopefully the new limits and slot will help. It seems, even in the 3 years i've been going there, more and more people fishing there, and keeping everything. I had to chase three boats away from my dock, on 3 different occations, because the guys were fishing smallies on their spawning beds. ( this was in may/june BTW).

It's easy access is the reason i suppose. The ice fishing has never been that spectacular for me, but I don't have a sled. I know exactly where i'd go if I did though! :whistling:

Edited by steelhedrmatt