How to Clean Whitefish

fishinggeek

Guest gbfisher

They are a little different. They have a double rib cage and you have to take the second one out last. You cut right through the first one and leave the other one behind as you would do to clean a trout starting from its back and cutting down towards its stomach on the outside of the rib cage. That leaves you with the top rib section to cut out after that. After skinning of course. Take away all of the fat line next to the skin as well. Tastes like crap.....

If you can handle bones, leave them all in.

Hope that helps.

Dontcha just love the optimism of fishermen...worried about how to clean them before even catching...

The above recipie sounds good to me only I would add a bit of soy or oyster sauce and a bit of garlic and fresh grated ginger to the wine before pouring over the fish...a few slashes in the flesh will help the sauce permeat the flesh...

They have a double rib cage and you have to take the second one out last.

....I've cleaned many, many whities and have never encountered this. They do have a lateral row of small bones extending out towards the lateral line. I prefer to fillet just as any trout or salmon remove lateral bones, skin and dark lateral meat then lightly pan fry with a little lemon pepper. Yummmy! :)

Guest gbfisher

Um....would that not be two sets of bones? Ribs, Lateral bones,.. :dunno::D ..

I was pointing out that the second line of bones are present and should come out if you like boneless fish.

Its an easy run of the knife on an angle on both sides. Not like most fish is all.

I guess I should be more up with what type of bones I am talking about and less helpful. ;)

Thanks Spiel. :D

it is not a set of "Y" bones as if it were a pike. The culinary term for it is "pin bones" and they are easily removed with needlenose pliers after 24 hours in the fridge.

if you buy a salmon fillet in the grocery store it will most likely come with the same set of bones, Unless you ask them to remove it for you.

If you look closely, even walleye have this extra set of bones going to the backbone.

Like brook trout, these lateral bones are quite small and no one who I have met has yet to say that they exist when it comes time to eat whitefish.