I need to know...

Gerritt

Gerritt, backtrolling is a staple tactic up here. We fish a lot of lakes that are not very big, and mostly for walleye. Backtrolling is all about boat control, pulling instead of pushing. Pulling your way along a weedline, shoal, etc., while watching the distance from said weedlines, shoals, and keeping an eye on the sonar at the same time for depth control, it is much more advantageous than trolling forwards.

In wind conditions that are a bit sketchy, and sometimes not, we throw a 3-5 gallon bucket out the nose of the boat, tied to the front of the boat to slow us down, and to control side winds hitting the boat that could cause us to have difficulty with control.

If wind conditions are too much, we still use the bucket, but we do a troll along a path, then retrieve the bucket, motor up-wind a few hundred yards, toss it back out, and repeat the process.

Backtrolling is a very effective way of boat control for following depth, weedlines, etc.

It is mainly a walleye fishing tactic, but can be used for other species as well, depending on wind conditions.

AND.............backtrolling is mainly a TILLER tactic. Console boats are not that condusive to backtrolling, you are facing forward trying to operate the boat with the steering wheel. If you are sitting at the back with your hand on the tiller handle, you are usually sitting a bit sideways, so you can look back of the boat, at the direction you want to go, and see weedlines, shoals, etc. and make adjustments quickly. If you are operating the boat at the console, you are not as "in tune" with boat control as you could be with the tiller.

Kinda like backing up a trailer, you have to look back where you are going, and put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel while launching the trailer, and make the adjustments contrary to what you would if you were facing forward.

Tiller handle adjustments are immediate responses when backtrolling. You are not "pushing" the boat along a path, you are "pulling" it along a path. Way better boat control, even in strong winds.

p.s. I have never been backtrolling in conditions like Trapshooter, kinda don't want to attempt it, lol.

I started out like most with the old 14 foot cartopper and evinrude kicker---then upgraded to the 16 foot lund and 20 horse--found that when the wind howled on the lake we lived on it still was not enough---when I spent the dollars I stayed Tiller for the backtrolling---I went to a 17 foot boat designed for tillers and tournaments and 50 4 stroke and have been happy since.

I predominately have targeted walleyes and smallies but it is useful in most applications except working shorelines tossing for bass or whatever especially in heavier winds.

When the target though is small such as in deeper main lake structures--I can usually stay on them with pretty good accuracy.

I believe you can really spend the cash and get like a 21 ft tiller boat like a "Warrior" and motor I'm thinking over 100 horse.

Problem sometimes is having others drive the bigger motors tiller style as opposed to a steering wheel---means your guide most times as your fishin partner is not quite comfortable---they can net for you though.

I believe though that once you get onto it -it is very effective (Probably not for those that want a multi-purpose boat as much but if it is predominately fishing it definetely has its place.

Bushart

p.s. I have never been backtrolling in conditions like Trapshooter, kinda don't want to attempt it, lol.

Good post tjsa.

I've noticed a lot of guys say they shy away from backtrolling when it gets rough. In order to keep backtrolling in big waves you definitely need some splash guards and preferably a boat with a splash well. Two working bilges are also a must. There are sunny days when I have to wear full rain gear from the splash effect. I put up with this because there is no better way to structure fish walleye. Point the back of the boat into the wind and kick the engine in and out of reverse as needed. Sometimes when it's really windy I have to leave the engine in reverse in order to keep moving backwards. It's a very controlled way to fish though, esp in rough water as it prevents the boat from being blown all over the place and the lines are always going away from the prop.

This has been a good topic though. I hope some people give it a try if they haven't before.