Tent Trailer Questions

Craig

Hey everyone. I don't post too much but read everyday. Quick question.

I have a 14ft aluminum utility with a 15hp Johnson. Love it.

Now I want to get a tent trailer (wife's tired of sleeping on the ground). I figure a tent trailer is all I can get since I can't pull the boat and get a camper.

So the plan is a 12ft tent trailer with racks so I can get the boat on top. Put the motor in the back of the truck.

Anyone do this now? Anyone see any inherit troubles with this set up? Don't want to invest to find out this was a bad idea....

The boats about 250lbs I figure. I can manhandle it not bad. I figure I'll pull the tent trailer near the launch and get it off. Most of my fishing is north of the Soo so there not like the busy boat launches of the south.

Anyhoo. Just thought I'd tap into the vast wisdom you guys and gals have. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks

We had a tent trailer years ago, 14 footer went on the car (74 Ford Torino Wagon was big enough to take it in comfort) but lots of our friends put their boat on their tent trailer without a problem, some without racks, tied down right on the trailer hard top.

I think the regs require 2 rope tied downs across and one on the front and one on the back.

Do a dry run before packing up the family to make sure everythings fit and secure.

I have a 14 foot tinny now and did exactly what you are saying, albeit with a narrow twelve footer as well as putting a 16 foot canoe on top at the same time (just fit). Shouldn't be a problem as far as I'm concerned. I'll be taking one or the other now that I have the bigger boat though.

No problem with the size of your trailer.This pic is my trailer with a 12 foot box.I don't use a rack just the little pads you use to put canoes on top of a car.I also use ratchet straps and use many strips of rubber between the straps and friction points so the straps don't frey and break.My boat is a 12 footer.You may find a 14 footer heavy to lift up but you will manage.You will also need a water campsite moving a 14 footer for a portage would be hell.Good Luck and enjoy sleeping off the ground.

IMG_1310JPGTrailerandTinny.jpg