Trip Report-Simcoe and Head Lake

Musky or Specks

Well we got up to Simcoe pretty late on Friday by the time we launched it was 3:30pm. Marked lots of fish out in 23 -27 ft of water but the winds were pretty high and boat control and feeling hits from the perch was very tough. Bottom line we got skunked out of Lefroy. Water temp was 51 at the surface.

We packed things up and headed to Haliburton to fish Musky on the Saturday. Pizza and beer in our hotel room and up in the morning eager to boat some lunge. Water temp to start was a cool 39 degrees. The boat was froze to the trailer and I was worried for a second that it was going to follow the trailer down the launch but it eventually floated free. Like ccmt we found ice around the shallow edges of the lake. We cast jerk baits all morning but had no action which is very strange for Head Lake. Around 12.30 water temps had increased to 42 degrees and we had a follow just off the mouth of the Drag River by the biggest Musky we have ever seen in Head, a mid 40's fish. Half an hour later my buddy switches to a lime green Suick that I found years ago on a backwoods trip(and gave to him)(YW) and has been a killer bait for him ever since. IN the far northwest part of the lake he gets amid to high thirties fish on but eventually the fish shakes loose at boatside. Not three cast later he gets another hit.

100_1079.jpg

After a short but acrobatic fight we get the fish boatside only to discover one of the trebles is in the eye socket.

100_1080.jpg

100_1081.jpg

We do manage to get it out pretty quick but unfortunately blood was spilt.

100_1082.jpg

Just a small guy but no actually eye tissue damage that we can see a quick photo and a strong release

100_1083.jpg

That was it for the day pretty tough fishing for that lake but still managed to get at least one more musky in the boat this year.

Doooooood, this fall has been the most uncanny fall I can remember. I can't even count how many pike I have eye-ball hooked. It's sick. 2007 will go down as the year that the pike went koo-koo and tried eating with their pupils instead of their mouths.

Edited by Moosebunk