Steelhead this morning

troutologist

First off i awoke to find a couple of inches of some white powdery substance covering my truck. It wasnt there when I went to sleep but I was pumped, it'll keep some folks at home. I followed the plow and ended up having the river to myself. Great morning I went 4/4 with 2 nice females in the 5lb range. The pic is of my first fish of the day, I was on a solo mission hence the poor quality and dumb look. Whoever made up that pink trout worm deserves a beer today.

In closing I must strongly suggest that noone goes steelheading in the snow. Ill make sure the rivers are in good shape for yous :thumbsup_anim:

Pics_146.jpg

Nice going. It's always nice to have the river or lake all to yourself.

Since you got so snow up your way that probably means my hunting spot in the U.P. got some as well. It will probably be gone once I get up there Tuesday night.

Nice going Jay, hard to beat those northern fish!

I was fishing a Lake Huron trib today myself. No weather to speak of 'till around 7am when I hit the river and a blizzard struck :P .

Heavy wet snow, cold and wind.

Gotta love it though, there was almost no one on the river :) .

(BTW, I'm still looking for my marked topo map with the lake we discussed on it. As soon as I find it I'll shoot you a pm)

cheers

You've gotta luv those pink worms. How do you hook w/ them? I hook them wacky style with a sz 12 red hook.

I hit 2 steelheads that way 2 weeks ago on a southern trib

WR

I hook em through the tip of the thicker end no. 8 or 10 black hook. I have never had much luck on colored hooks for steelhead. Although when I was younger I caught fish on a gold hook...Does anyone find red or the coloured (chart., pink etc) hooks to produce well?

No worries Jeff Ill be back down there again in a while.

Solo, no rush on the mapping, this weekend trip got changed to a steelhead hike in. so probably wont get in there until the spring.

I cant wait til the morning!! :Gonefishing:

sweet report dude...gotta love the snow...

I've been trying to buy some pinkies for nearly two months!!!! been to bass pro twice, sold out, crappy tire is forever sold out...drives me nuts. Tried to order 5 packs off of Bass Pro.com, more money for delivery then the worms......

They work GREAT in the spring for early season pan-fish to! wakey rig under a float

Cheers,

UF

Nice report and cool pic.

FYI-Out in BC, almost all rivers have a bait bait with single barbless hooks only. The pink worm is many steelheaders favorite choice. Lots of rain keeps the water a little coloured most of the time.

Gooey Bobs, spin and glo's, and corkies are very popular as well. You need a lot of beads and sequins lol.

I don't see many guys reporting their use out here though. Anyone use em?

cheers

suds