Steelhead Rod Recommendation Needed

Zib

Zib, I hope this thread helps you in your decision making process, it looks like there's some good info here, however as already mentioned, I just don't get why trout threads go south so fast? Every time I consider taking up trout fishing and learning more and or asking questions, threads like these make me give my head a shake! I'll stick to the Picker-eyes! Picker-eyes fisherman just don't get all that hung up on stuff, just to catch a 4lb fish!LOL

HH

....Well I decided to clean up all the childishness in this post so as not to see it go bye-bye.

There's plenty of good steelheaders out there and they're not all float fisherman so lets keep that in mind. Zib did ask "Any other suggestions for a newbie steel header would be appreciated."

Oh and I might as well add that I'm in the process of retiring my current float rod (center pin) in favour of a new level wind. That should make me the new elitist type in vogue steelheader. ;)

Now if I could only find some cold hard cash for those nifty breathable waders. :D

....Well I decided to clean up all the childishness in this post so as not to see it go bye-bye.

There's plenty of good steelheaders out there and they're not all float fisherman so lets keep that in mind. Zib did ask "Any other suggestions for a newbie steel header would be appreciated."

Oh and I might as well add that I'm in the process of retiring my current float rod (center pin) in favour of a new level wind. That should make me the new elitist type in vogue steelheader. ;)

Now if I could only find some cold hard cash for those nifty breathable waders. :D

Lol I understand Prada is making a line of breathables

Zib, I hope this thread helps you in your decision making process, it looks like there's some good info here, however as already mentioned, I just don't get why trout threads go south so fast? Every time I consider taking up trout fishing and learning more and or asking questions, threads like these make me give my head a shake! I'll stick to the Picker-eyes! Picker-eyes fisherman just don't get all that hung up on stuff, just to catch a 4lb fish!LOL

HH

Yes it is helping. Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm going to start with a spinning outfit first before I go dropping some coing on a float rod. I'll just have to wait to see how much $$$ I'll have left over after X-mas shopping for the wife & kids then I can buy myself a present or 2.

BTW, I'll most likely go with a St. Croix Avid (9 or 9.5 footer) since that's what I was looking at before I started this thread.

Edited by Zib

I'm with you Zib....I just started hitting the tribs a year ago. I had no idea if I'd even like it, so I went to the fishing show, bought a 60 dollar 10.5 footer, used my spinning reel and began learning how to fish for steelhead.

It wont take long before you begin to form your own opinions about what is right for you.

Good luck!

Eveyone's a self-professed expert Steelheader Solo, didn't you know? :lol:

They're not really that hard to catch, especially drifting Roe... :rolleyes:

I'm self-professed steelhead noob! And I catch few steelhead when the other experts catch 10+! :P

I don't mind the others telling me what to use or do. I think that ego is the biggest down fall of all fisherman. That and marriage.

It looks like I may need to find a lower priced rod. As much as I'd love to have the St. Croix Avid, the $210 price tag is hard to swallow with my limited funds right now. I was looking at the Shimano Clarus that runs $90. Has anyone used the Shimano steelhead rods?

Zib,

Looks like you are getting some good advice and you have some great waters in Michigan to try out whatever you buy. I am not sure if this option is available in the size fishing rod you are looking at but a nice feature of the float rod I bought......I can use either a spinning reel or a centerpin. Nice option for when you are first starting out and think that you may want to change to a centerpin later.

Oh and Cliff......I think "insanely jealous" is a bit strong! LOL

It looks like I may need to find a lower priced rod. As much as I'd love to have the St. Croix Avid, the $210 price tag is hard to swallow with my limited funds right now. I was looking at the Shimano Clarus that runs $90. Has anyone used the Shimano steelhead rods?

Ive got a shimano convergence, 12'6" 4-8lb rating,..I often use a spinner on it with a float set-up as my back-up,..works great for under $100.

Hello, new to the board here and I've been looking at a few steelhead rods myself for use with either a cp reel or a spinning reel. The convergence is one of the rods on my short list. For those of you who use this rod, do you use it with a spinning reel or a cp reel.

thanks

Hello, new to the board here and I've been looking at a few steelhead rods myself for use with either a cp reel or a spinning reel. The convergence is one of the rods on my short list. For those of you who use this rod, do you use it with a spinning reel or a cp reel.

thanks

I use a spinning rod...no problems whatsoever...if you have a good drag then you're good to go.

thanks

Ive had the rod for like 3 years,..landed many a salmon and steelies on it first with a spinner,..then a pin,..and now a spinner again,..same presntation,...just for use now in tight quarters or a back up set-up to the pin,...I highly recomend anyone learing to angle steelhead on the rivers use the Floating/CP set-up with a good spinning reel first,..learn the rivers and the fish patterns,..and how both behave,...then move onto a CP,..and discover a whole new learning experience,..lol,..but if u can drift 100' or more..and catch some fish with a stellar presentation in water where u will never see a fish unless it jumps,,...by all means bring a few rods with you,...I always bring atleast 2 rods and there is usually a 9'6" spinner or a 7/8 wt flyrod involved in additional to the flaot CP method!!!

thanks

Definitely go with the convergence if money is tight. Great rods for the bucks and the warranty is good too. I am told you aren't really a steelheader till you spend half a trip fishing with a broken tip... I have been lucky but been there with a couple of folks who just don't get that the rating on the rod for lure weight is not just a suggestion. Nothing like seeing someone take their first cast with a 300.00 plus St. Croix, Fenwick or GLoomis an see the 3/4 oz weight/cleo snap the first half foot or so off the rod.... Seen that on all three of those types of rods. The warranty on those is NOT always over the counter either......

The thing is due to the nature of a noodle rod the chances of having a tip break are a lot higher than with a medium action 6.5 ft rod. So take that into account when you are buying because you might just find yourself buying another one sooner than you think if the company deems it abuse not normal usage.

Edited by Canuck2fan