anybody recommend a place to stay on LOTW next summer trip

2 tone z71

I stayed at Totem a few years ago in Sioux Narrows and was very, very dissapointed. The quality relative to the rating seemed right out to lunch, with poor quality accomodations, weak guide program and a decent food service if I recall correctly. This place was supposed to be something like a 4 star rating.....lol.

I would give this a .5/5 and no I am not kidding.....poor value. Just an FYI from some schmuck that travels a lot.

I imagine there are lots of nice resorts, cottages with a show like say the Toronto Sportsmans Show, likley having a few there to see and speak to. The drive there is nice, although I have not driven the southern route via Atikokan and have always went via Hwy 17 to Kenora.

outdoorguy61

outdoor guy thanks for the heads up ,thats off the list for sure,ive drivin it alot myself worked on the highways up there for yrs between Winnipeg border and Thunder Bay,I remember taking a Houseboat out of Sou narrows and eating at a place called the mineshaft it was on LOTW

Look at Witch Bay or Smith Camps. They are 2 places I'm familiar with. Smith Camps is 15 minutes out of Kenora and Witch Bay is a bit further. With Smith Camps you are by Bigstone Bay which is big water for LOTW, Witch Bay is a small bay but there is supposed to be fantastic fishing within minutes of the lodge. We've eaten at Smith Camps and the food was great. From what I understand, they aren't cheap but the fishing is great (I know some great walleye, muskie, pike and smallie spots). And, Kenora is close to Smith Camps so if you guys get cabin fever...... With regards to Witch Bay, last year we met an old timer who went up every year from North Carolina for 32 years. He loved the place and said he didn't have to travel more than 30-45 minutes from camp for good fishing (muskie).

www.witchbay.com

www.ccco.net/smith/

It is comical that you mention the Mineshaft. I believe this is located in Sioux Narrows.

I met a native lady in there many years ago and ended up being more or less chased off a reserve. She never did fuly cooperate with m intended program, with some native fellows taking major issue with a native lady enjoying this white fellows company. I took my first flight because of that....Air Canada....lol. It was a summer to remember for this young fellow from southern Ontario........

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61

2 Tone, I've had a pleasant experience with Totem Lodge and will share it with you. I was contacted to suggest a fishing camp for a fishing trip sponsored by Kroger, Inc. They had a group of 45 winners in a sales contest, plus company employees. I was included in the group for a five day trip. Totem is a five-star operation and has been for many years. They were deserving of the rating in every aspect during our stay. Kroger officials were pleased with the camp and took a large group to Totem for three more trips until the contest was discontinued.

Three members of this board have worked at Totem Lodge during the past few years. I'm not sure if they're still active on our board. Maybe one of them will post on this thread. In June of 2004 I visited two of the OFC members at Totem and owner, Eric Brown , gave us a great dose of hospitality. I wanted to meet the third member, but he was on the water guiding.

I'm not trying to say another person didn't have a bad experience at Totem, but ours was great.

TG

First, just want to say hi, and I finally took the leap and joined.

For the last three years my wife and I have stayed at Spruce Island Camp. It's pretty much in the middle of the lake which we really like as it's the only lodge in the area. There are quite a few in the north and south end of the lake and just too much boat traffic for us, we really enjoy the seclusion of being in the middle of the lake. The fishing in the area of the camp is really good espcially for walleye and we have had good luck hooking into some nice pike and musky(haven't boated any musky as of yet but still fun to see them charging your lure). We have always found the cabins to be spotless and well taken care of. Compared to other places on the lake their prices are real good and the owners and staff are great, friendly and happy to do all they can to make your trip a memorable one. They have 24-7 electricity, phone, satelite tv and wirless internet if your addicted to your computer, all the comforts of home but yet you still feel like your away from it all.

Anyway we really look forward to our trip every year and can't wait for next year. Their website is spruceislandcamp.com not sure if the website is up as I went to it the other day and I guess they might have been up dating it. If you want a brochure you just have to send them an email.

Have a great trip wherever you decide to stay.