Camping in black bear country

Riparian

Best not to keep food exactly in the tent. But wherever you put it, don't get any ideas that bears will not come to your tent and eat you. There are bears and bears. It's not the regular bear that you should worry about because that's the bear that mostly avoids any contact with humans. It's the psycho bear that you should be PREPARED FOR. Here's the tip that one day will save your life. Get yourselves a larger spray can (like those hair styling sprays) and carry it handy together with a lighter. In the case of a bear attacking you've got yourself a small flame thrower by lighting the lighter while spraying. The idea is not to burn the bear, but to scare it. All animals are badly afraid of fire and bears are no different. Better even if you find a flamable pepper spray ... two in one. Now that's a business idea.

Edited by ikoflexer

I have been camping in bear country for over 20 years, often times by myself(I used to Loop from Opeongo, Happy Isle and Merchant for 2 weeks while I was in college by myself).

I have had bears enter my camp and I have seen bears enter other peoples camp. I have heard of more people drowning than I have being mauled by a black bear as well.

Will you ever see a black bear in your camp? Maybe not. But why take the chance? And what exactly about my comments are dangerous?

Hang your food away from your camp, cook and eat away from your camp and sleep soundly. Leave your food laying around and try to have a good nights sleep wondering if you forgot to close the peanut butter jar, or if the cooler lid is off or the bag of freeze dried nuts and berries was left open.

In Silent Lake I know personally of 3 different people that have had black bears trash there site, once while sleeping and they cut a hole in there tent to escape to the van that was luckily parked right near the tent with the sliding door facing the tent.

In algonquin we were once chased off of Happy Isle by a black bear.

I have seen several sniffing and exploring camp sites while paddling up opeongo, Usually in the lower arm near Bates Island.

So I am happy for those of you that haven't seen black bears while camping, but don't expect any simpathy from anyone if you were to have a bear ravage your long weekend or ruin your two week portage because you didn'tkeep your food stored securly.

I am still curious as to why you find y commens dangerous?

There ARE maulings that don't make the news, there are Sites that get trashed that don't make the news. The hanging of food is not just to keep you from getting killed(not very likely at all) but how happy would you be to paddle back to your camp site only to see a bear mowing down you loaf of bread that was sitting on a stump?

Bears are shot and relocated all the time in Large bear country parks because of encounters. Few are do to death, I think the average is one death every 3 - 5 years in algonquin. Use your brain. Tie up food, pay attention when walking the trails especially when going around corners. From my understanding most black bear maulings are from jumping a bear comming around a corner on a trail.

Edited by jedimaster

I have been camping in bear country for over 20 years, often times by myself. I have had bears enter my cam and I have seen bears enter other peoples camp. I have heard of more people drowning than I have being mauled by a black bear as well.

Will you ever see a black bear in your camp? Maybe not. But why take the chance? And what exactly about my comments are dangerous?

Hang your food away from your camp, cook and eat away from your camp and sleep soundly. Leave your food laying around and try to have a good nights sleep wondering if you forgot to close the peanut butter jar, or if the cooler lid is off or the bag of freeze dried nuts and berries was left open.

In Silent Lake I know personallof 3 different people that have had black bears trash there site, once while sleeping and they cut a hole in there tent to escape the van.

In algonquin we were once chased off of Happy Isle by a black bear.

I have seen several sniffing and exploring camp sites while paddling up opeongo, Usually in the lower arm near Bates Island.

So I am happy for those of you that haven't seen black bears while camping, but don't expect any simpathy from anyone if you were to have a bear ravage your long weekend or ruin your two week portage because you didn'tkeep your food stored securly.

I am still curious as to why you find y commens dangerous?

I don't understand either Jedi,

I guess all you can do is post your thoughts and not get too strung out as to others ideas as to "why bother".

You made some good points. It's like the law for wearing seat belts. We all know why but every now and then you'll hear about someone dying cuz' they decided not to wear one. It takes 2 minutes max to hang your food.

I've always hung mine and never had a problem. I don't miss the 2 minutes it took.

Hookset.

Here's the tip that one day will save your life. Get yourselves a larger spray can (like those hair styling sprays) and carry it handy together with a lighter. In the case of a bear attacking you've got yourself a small flame thrower by lighting the lighter while spraying.

:blink:

umm ahh...

no.

bad idea.

dont do this, please!

I aint never hung no pack. I aint never saw no bear in camp either. I store my cooler under the table to keep the lid down about ten feet from my tent.

There was a guy killed by a bear at that camp site though. I am glad i was not there at the time. My cousin was and he said it was not pretty.

I read some where that those loud air horns will scare a bear away. Anyone know if that is true??? :(

I dunno, I have carried firecrackers with me in the past I paddled past a bear on shore and light it off and it took off into the bush like a bat out of hell.

Only thing is it would be a bit fumbly to light up a lady finger when you cross paths with a bear and your addrenaline starts pumping.

I would also recommend against the flame thrower idea. Although it sounds like a cool idea I think it would present a bit of danger especially from inside a tent. A can of pepper spray without the use of alighter hsould be sufficient.....The normal bears will just run away when you make your presence known screaming, banging, pepper spray etc... but if its an aggresive bear out to attack you the only thing you can do is beat it away. Rocks paddles etc...

A bear was beaten away by camp councilers with paddles in algonquin when it attacked and pinned a boy.

These "Man eater" bears are said to naturally occur in Algonquin park every 5 years or something like that. They will stalk and attack humans. Its a genetic defect in the bears. This is well documented.

In all likelyhood you won't even see a bear let alone a "man eater". But if your lucky or unlucky(depending on how you see it and your circumstances) you may have an encounter.

No matter what anyones experiences have been good or bad...I just can't understand how you would in good conciense tell someone they don't need to worry about Black Bears in Bear country and don't need to hang there food away from there tent.

I doub't anyone here would tell someone that they don't need to wear a life jacket while canoeing, or wear a seat belt or not drink and drive. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Certainly no offense to anyone that doesn't bear proof there campsite, like I said its your life and your picnic basket. Just don't cry out for sympathy if it were to happen to you.

Well you guys sure have lots of experience i have seen them as well and I RESPECT THAT IM IN THIER BACKYARD HOME....and will try to not bother them...i think its a matter of common sense to me,and if it makes for a safe happy trip why not take those actions to make it stay that way....just my 33cents worth....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I doub't anyone here would tell someone that they don't need to wear a life jacket while canoeing, or wear a seat belt or not drink and drive. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Certainly no offense to anyone that doesn't bear proof there campsite, like I said its your life and your picnic basket. Just don't cry out for sympathy if it were to happen to you.

Nobody's looking for sympathy Jedi. Different strokes for different folks. Your idea of bearproofing may be different from others.

As for your comments on worrying about bears in bear country...really why should "I" be concerned. Note the word "I". I'm well versed in knowing how to handle myself in the bush. How to respond to bears, both aggressive and those foraging. Again, the chances of an actual predatory attack is one in a million. I'm out there to enjoy my time, not worry about whether i'm lower than a bruin on the food chain.

Jedi, seems like a lot of your experiences come from Provincial parks, which are virtually garbage factories. It's like ringing a dinner bell. Park bears, especially those in Algonquin have come to relate humans to an easy food source...thus they become campsite bears, and the reason for them not leaving willingly. They know there's food! This doesn't mean they're aggrerssive though.

When it comes to well used camping areas such as Ontario's "southern" provincial parks, i'd pay more attention to my food supply. On crown land and other remote areas, i don't worry. Like Dan said, if i see a bear, it's a perfect photo op, not a reason for panic.

I've read everyone's comments on this thread. lots of differing opinions, and you can't say anyones truly right....There's been lots of talk in the media about bears and they're getting a bad rep. it seems the problem is that as soon as someone see's a bear, panic ensues....and most people look at how they can eliminate the bear. Why? He's just out doing what he does. We're in his domain people. Just because a black bear takes a step towards you, or stands up on two legs doesn't mean he aggressive. He's just curious and this is his way of determining what to make of the situation. Instead of fearing the bear or looking for ways to protect ourselves from them, maybe we should focus our energies on understanding their behaviour. In the end there'd be a lot less bears killed, and a lot fewer incidents repoprted.

My $0.02

No doubt when you go outside the main park areas and away from garbage dumps you will see fewer bears.

But thats where most people see them and thats where most people go camping and need to bear proof. In provincial parks while camping with families and at home in the outskirts of rural towns. These encounters are far more likely to be dangerous in these areas and thats why every park you go to that is in bear country will absolutley 100 percent recommend that you bear proof your campsite.

Thats also why they are in the news. When you see a black bear in the far north away from human population, chances are very likley it will bolt the instant it notices you. But like you said in the provincial parks and rural towns they can indeed be dangerous as they are looking for food.

Its from the understanding and research of their behaviour that is leading to legislation to hopefully allow for the thinning out of the bear population(spring bear hunt's return).

Bear population is on the rise.

Bear incidents are on the rise.

These have been proven to be related to the reduction of bear hunting.

Black bears are not an endangered species there are thousands of them. Many in places where its not safe for them or humans.

When your in there backyard its best to place safe don't you think? My idea of bear proofing is not mine. Its what is recommended everywhere. I didn't invent bear proofing you campsite. I just prefer to not take the lazy way out and think nothing will happen. The same as how I put a life jacket on when canoeing. I am confident in my skills and the calm lake but I still wear it. The same as I am confident that a bear won't attack me in my tent, but I still prefer to bear proof my campsite when camping in areas with bears and where its recommended to bear proof your campsite.

Also about bears not being killed because if we educated ourselves about them. The first thing ANY bear research program states is no food around equals no bears. Don't have bird feeders, don;t leave your garbage outside, clean your barbeque. Why anyone would choose to ignore that research seems silly to me but to each their own.

I dunno, I guess I still carry a northern resident view on black bears. Definalty not PC on the matter. :)

I don't think a single person, myself included has said it's not a good idea to hang a food pack, just that in remote areas it's not really necessary.

I find it funny to see people whose idea of living in the north equates to Muskoka and whose actual bush experience has been limited to Algonquin Park, attempting to offer an educated viewpoint on something they have no real first hand experience in.

:)

What I dont get is... if your barrel or pack is air tight and the purpose of hanging is so the bear cant smell the food... then whats the difference? Its not like bears cant smell YOU after all. If its hungry and smells you as a "food" then it dosent matter if the bear cant smell the food in the barrel/bag.

Only reason they're air tight is so they float when you flip your canoe. Hanging has nothing to do with attracting bears...just the idea is you put it up high enough and far enough away from the trees so they can't reach it. Still gonna attract them whether it's in the air, or on the table ! Doesn't change anything one ioda as to whether you have a bear on your campsite!

Edited by irishfield

To those that advocate carrying a gun, check the regulations first. I believe you'll find that possession of a firearm in the bush during July and August is illegal in Northern Ontario. In the rest of the province where it's legal to hunt varmints in the summertime, there could be restrictions on calibres. I know these regulations were in place years ago, don't know if any have been changed. Just something to check out.

To those that advocate carrying a gun, check the regulations first. I believe you'll find that possession of a firearm in the bush during July and August is illegal in Northern Ontario. In the rest of the province where it's legal to hunt varmints in the summertime, there could be restrictions on calibres. I know these regulations were in place years ago, don't know if any have been changed. Just something to check out.

Correct Bob..for sure. I still carry my 22 rifle in the airplane though.... for small game survival food if I screw up a back lake landing...that 22's just enough to piss the bear off to get my mauling over quicker!

Edited by irishfield

I don't think a single person, myself included has said it's not a good idea to hang a food pack, just that in remote areas it's not really necessary.

I find it funny to see people whose idea of living in the north equates to Muskoka and whose actual bush experience has been limited to Algonquin Park, attempting to offer an educated viewpoint on something they have no real first hand experience in.

:)

If you talking about me, and we are talking about living with bears then I have lived with bears in my yard, does it matter where I have lived with them? As for where I have camped Algonquin is only one of the many places I have camped. I mention Algonquin in my thread as that is where most people will encounter a bear when camping. I have only ever seen one bear while camping outside of Algonquin or Silent Lake. and yes they just happen to be provincial parks. I thought we were talking about camping with bears?

If you look at the original post you will see the person is from Southern Ontario and camping in the Back Country. I had assumed this was the Back Country as refered to in Algonquin. I have never called or heard of anyone calling some random bush up north the Back Country.

That is why I have been talking about Algonquin. If you want to talk about camping much further north outside of Provincial Parks and away from human population(garbage dumps) than yes I think you will find that you will almost never see a black bear. Most certainly not see one in your camp as they don't associate people with food. In those circumstances they associate people with bang I am dead.

Although I haven't seen any stats I would imagine that the vast majority of bear maulings and deaths have taken place in provincial parks or designated campgrounds.

I still can't see why someone would not recommend anyone to not bear proof there campsite when they are in an area with black bears....especially if they are in Algonquin or another Bear Country Park. Come to think of it, the last time I was in Silent Lake a Park Ranger was making rounds reminding people to bear proof there sites as there was bears in the area.

Also I wouldn't particularly call a random bush far away from civilization Bear Country neither. To me the term "Bear Country" is reserved for areas where you have a chance of seeing a Black Bear, not just some random bush wher eyou will camp for 25 years and never see a Bear. If you have never seen a bear in 25 years of camping have actually been camping bear country. I would think your not in Bear Country, your just out in the bush with squirels and racoons... jmho. :)

Make sure you follow the correct regulations when carrying a firearm of course. Also you better damn well understand that you are going to get charged with poaching black blears if you don't have the legal shot size and a tag. I always buy my bear tag incase I see one. I don't go bear hunting but I like to know that I can legally shoot it if I do run into one.

Edited by jedimaster

If you want to talk about camping much further north outside of Provincial Parks and away from human population(garbage dumps) than yes I think you will find that you will almost never see a black bear. Most certainly not see one in your camp as they don't associate people with food. In those circumstances they associate people with bang I am dead.

Although I haven't seen any stats I would imagine that the vast majority of bear maulings and deaths have taken place in provincial parks or designated campgrounds.

Uhm, I dissagree. I haven't camped in a Provincial Park since I was very young. All my bear encounters (except the last 5 years in my backyard) have been in deep, dense, unpopulated bush where the bears have very few, if any, encounters with humans. They are predators, and intelligent scavengers. If they smell food, they will take advantage of the situation.

And when the bears have not seen people, they just think they are a new weird food source. Why should they be scared if they are the top predator in their home range? It is up to the people camping to be smarter than the bears.

As for the Algonquin bears. It was my understanding that when a bear grows large enough to take down a full grown moose, they start taking down people as well. I researched this a few years ago when the bears were huge up here. People make a lot less fuss than a full grown moose.

Pam

If you look at the original post you will see the person is from Southern Ontario and camping in the Back Country. I had assumed this was the Back Country as refered to in Algonquin. I have never called or heard of anyone calling some random bush up north the Back Country.

Sorry guys, but my definition of back country includes random bush up north. Just because I live in southern ontario dosent mean I exclusivley camp in algonquin.

I guess I should have said "crown land" or "northern Ontario". I use the term "park interior" for areas not in the highway 60 corridor.

Edited by Riparian

I dunno personal preference I guess. Just seems dumb to not bear proof if your in a spot where you know there will be bears. It doesn't take all that long to hang a rope from a tree. tie rock to the rope and toss it over, or even just loop it over not really that hard ot time consumming. Once its done once for that site you can just leave it there the whole time. No skin off my teeth if you get eaten by a bear in your sleep or you food gets eaten by a bear while your away from your camp.

But if your asking for advice I would srecommend 100 percent everytime when your in an area with bears that you should bear proof your site. But do as you see fit. It seems that most people bear proof there sites from reading this thread.

The point I made earlier was serious. It doesn't matter whether you leave your food on the table or 15 feet above it hung from a rope...the bear will come either way to your campsite. The only thing it changes is whether he eats your food on the table...or you in the tent because he can't get the stuff 15' up.

No skin off my teeth if you get eaten by a bear in your sleep or you food gets eaten by a bear while your away from your camp.

I was simply asking if there were other more experienced people who do not bother to hang food packs. i wasant asking if it is a good idea not to hang a food pack.

my knowledge is only limited by my youth, not my location.

Edited by Riparian

Have you ever heardof a bear going into a camp site and eating a human because it couldn't get to food that was hung? I haven't but I have heard of bears comming into camps and attacking humans where there was food laying around the camp site.

I guess if you feel happy enough that you can safely bait a bear to your picnic table 15 feet from your tent so it will ignore you in your tent than so be it. I would still rather not have my food eaten and be forced to cut my trip short because I didn't hang the food. Of course you need to weigh the effort for yourself as to the likely hood of a bear being in your camp site. I mean if you haven't seen one in the are you camp in in 25 years then its a pretty good chance that leaving your food on the table isn't going to attract one.