Headin down to Virginia...

jedimaster

Well with my boat sold, I am leaving for virginia on Friday to get my new boat. Well not new but new to me.

Pics once I get back. Anywho. Just wondering if anyon ehere has made the trip down and what route they took? This will be a non stop mission. Eat when I get gas, sleep down there and come back the next day.

I would use Google Maps to plot out a route for you, just in case.

Good luck with the boat. It sure worked out for me four years ago.

Just make sure that you get the Titles (one each for the boat, motor and trailer) to bring back with you.

Keep us posted.

Edited by BPSBASSMAN

Yah got a good deal, well we will see, I have actually a few backup boats on the way back if the one I am going for isn't all its cracked up to be.

My gps hooks up to my laptop and it talks to me to keep me company.

I'll post a little teaser picture to see if you guys can all guess the make, model year and price.

teaser.jpg

Hopefully you didn't buy it cheaply on ebay from a Russian exporting scam artist based in Miami!

(like I almost did recently :D:D )

Weren't you paying attention? He got it on eBay from a Russian exporting scam artist based in Virginia!

Congrats & good luck Jedi. That's a long non-stop run. Don't push yourself and leave time for construction zones...

http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/tools/roadC...ctionSearch.jsp

-Brian

Done the trip to Richmond, Virginia about a dozen times in last 3 years. Best advice I can get give you is be wary of rush-hour traffic or accidents around Washington-DC. Toronto to DC just cooking it I've seen in 9 hours. Worst was 3 hours to go 100 kms just south of Washington.

Below is the best route I've seen as I've tried a few others which put me thru some one-horse towns. May the force be with you.

Drive: 1,056 km – about 10 hours 47 mins

1,056 km – about 10 hours 47 mins

1. Head southeast on University Ave toward Pearl St 0.5 km

2. Turn right at York St 0.4 km

2 mins

3. Turn right onto the Gardiner Expwy W ramp to QEW 0.3 km

1 min

4. Merge onto Gardiner Expy W 14.8 km

10 mins

5. Continue on QEW 138 km

1 hour 25 mins

6. Continue on Peace Bridge

Entering United States (New York) 0.6 km

7. Continue straight to stay on Peace Bridge 0.8 km

2 mins

8. Turn right onto the ramp to I-190 S/New York State Thruway 91 m

9. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for New York State Thruway/Downtown Buffalo/I-90/I-190 S and merge onto I-190 S/New York State Thruway 10.6 km

8 mins

10. Take exit 54-61 to merge onto I-90 W toward Erie

Partial toll road

Entering Pennsylvania 152 km

1 hour 30 mins

11. Take exit 22A to merge onto I-79 S toward Pittsburgh 159 km

1 hour 32 mins

12. Take exit 78-77 for PA Turnpike/I-76 2.8 km

3 mins

13. Follow signs for Harrisburg/I-76 E and merge onto I-76 E/Pennsylvania Turnpike

Partial toll road 215 km

2 hours 7 mins

14. Take exit 161 to merge onto I-70 E toward Washington D C/Breezewood/Baltimore

Partial toll road 3.5 km

3 mins

15. Take the US-30 W exit 0.2 km

16. Merge onto I-70/US-30

Continue to follow I-70

Entering Maryland 123 km

1 hour 16 mins

17. Take exit 53 to merge onto I-270 S toward Washington 48.3 km

31 mins

18. Slight right at I-270-SPUR S (signs for Northern Virginia/I-495 S/Washington/I-270 Spur) 3.3 km

2 mins

19. Merge onto Capital Beltway/I-495 S

Entering Virginia 27.7 km

19 mins

20. Take exit 57A for I-95 S toward Richmond 2.0 km

1 min

21. Merge onto I-395 S 0.5 km

22. Continue on I-95 S 153 km

1 hour 31 mins

23. Take exit 74C for US-33 W/US-250 W/Broad St 0.5 km

24. Merge onto E Broad St/US-250/US-33 0.4 km

To: Richmond

Virginia, USA

Where are you departing from, Kawartha's region? Being from Western New York I would think your best bet would be to go towards Kingston and enter the US at the 1000 Islands Bridge at Gananoque. You can follow route 81 south right down to Virginia. From there you will need to find the best path to get to your final destination. Where is the boat located in Virginia, I usually travel that way on a yearly basis since our family vacations in the Outer Banks, NC every summer.

Good Luck,

Tom

I am gonna be on the other side of Richmond so I think t will be faster to go through Pittsburgh PA and down from there. I have driven to Pits many times for hockey and am familiar with the hotels and route.Pretty Much I 90 to I-79 to I 64 then a bit of jogging from there. If it sucks out I'll try the route up through washington. I got pounded going through washington one time as well. Traffic killed me in GTA at 5pm on a monday.

I figure I should be long through buffallo by 8am and well past Pittsburgh before lunch. At least thats the plan, I am hoping th eborder isn't too busy.

I was also thinking about taking 81 all the way down as the place I am going to is near 81 and I have to cross it eventually anyway. How long does it take to get to 81 from the kawarthas? I have never crossed where you mention.

Edited by jedimaster

Since we usually travel through Richmond, the way I go is as follows:

I90 to I79 (s - Erie, Pa)

I79 to I76

I76 to I70

I70 to I68 East (Maryland)

I68 to I81 (south)

I81 to I66

I66 to route 17

Route 17 to I95 (south)

This route will take you right into Richmond and you will avoid the traffic around the DC area. Here is a web site that I use to map out my travels, this gives you the map for Virginia: http://www.sitesatlas.com/Flash/USCan/VAFH.htm

Hope this helps,

Tom

Yah I have a few other leads, just waiting for the exact right type of boat. Not many around that suit what I want....None in canada. They aren't popular up here.

Will keep looking.

Yah imo if something triggers off negative its time to step back right away before something else goes wrong. I have been caught up in snowballs before. :)