GPS Experts

Letpikego

Some of you were kind enough to help me out with a GPS recommendation. I was looking for something for everyday use at home in Ohio for driving that would also work well on a boat. My son and I do a fly out from Red Lake, Ontario every summer. A GPS to get us there and navigation on the lake is what we are looking for. The overwhelming recommendation was for the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx. I have researched this and it seems like a good unit for the price. It is waterproof and floats-a good feature since my 12 year old son will be using it with me, although I'll probably be the one who drops it. Here's the big question I have. We're fishing an outpost in the middle of Ontario. If we catch a nice fish can you press a button to mark the spot on the GPS so you can return there later? Thanks for your help folks!

Visit the Garmin web site and download (free of charge) the user manual for the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSX. Doing so will answer many of your questions and probably raise a few too. More importantly, reviewing the manual before you purchase should provide you a warm fuzzy feeling about the unit before you spend your dollars.

I'm far from a GPS expert but this little guy blows my mind for the price...

http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-Multimedia-...m/dp/B000GSQDPM

I had a chance to play around with it at the store and what I appeciated most about it was the SD card slot. Drive to your location with the included map and pop in a Navionics chip to navigate the lake. Track your routes on the water, mark waypoints/icons etc. A big bonus for me as I have already invested in the Lowrance/Navionics chips for the boat.

It's smaller and lighter with a bigger screen than the 76 series Garmin plus it has a built in mp3 player and picture viewer.

One of the only things I didn't like about my Garmin 76 was the shape. To keep a signal it had to be in the window and because of it's height, it had to be near the edge of the dash.

If I was buying another hand held, this would probably be it.

-Brian