Canoe Help

graftongal

Hello everyone,

We are in the market for a canoe, but we don't really know too much about makes, models and decent pricing. We would want something fairly lightweight for portaging, but big enough to carry two adults and a dog. We are willing to buy a used one if it is in good shape.

Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated!

Depends what you want it for. The material choices are fiberglass, kevlar, plastic or the traditional cedar strip or all wood. The cedar strip and all wood are expensive but are the classic type. Cedar strip and all wood require more care and caution and are heavier relative to kevlar. The cheapest is probably fiberglass. Plastic (one type is Royalex) is forgiving-good for running rivers-but also heavier than kevlar.

I have had two canoes. The first fiberglass with a flatter bottom and keel-good for sitting on the seats and fishing, not good for long distances. The second a 16 foot kevlar-good for distances, canoe tripping and portaging-weighs 45 pounds. Kevlar is not cheap-I paid about $1,200 or so (i recall) for a used 16 foot Evergreen canoe in 1999.

This time of year look for used canoes coming into the bigger stores. Outfitters sometimes sell used canoes in the fall.

Usually the lighter, the faster, the more brittle. Depending on how much portaging you are planning on, that is obviously a factor, but if you're going to be paddling in "rough" terrain (ie. bumping rocks, logs, trying your hand at rapids) you may decide to sacrifice the light weight for something a bit tougher. Although a relatively thick Kevlar canoe should be pretty tough without being too heavy. Multi layer ABS is good too.

I myself just picked up a Coleman RAM-X from Cappy Tire of all places. 15.5 feet, holds 800lbs, takes a BEATING, and is portageable by myself. Even has a cooler in the middle that doubles as a bench and some cup holders. Not TOO slow, but certainly not the fastest canoe around. Nice for recreation, but it does make a serious out-trip a little more work. No worries about damage though.

Picked it up for $400 plus tax...was on sale marked down from $600 I believe. For the price and the amount of banging around it can sustain, it was a no-brainer.

MAybe that's more than my 2 cents, but I hope it helps.

Usually the lighter, the faster, the more brittle. Depending on how much portaging you are planning on, that is obviously a factor, but if you're going to be paddling in "rough" terrain (ie. bumping rocks, logs, trying your hand at rapids) you may decide to sacrifice the light weight for something a bit tougher.

That statement is true in general, however not etched in stone.

If you're talking about kevlar which really is the ultimate as far

as canoes go, there are several different grades/thicknesses

available.

I had a 17' Swift Dumoine made with their heaviest grade of

kevlar, "expedition kevlar" with additional kevlar skid plates

on the bow and stern to protect from bumps.

It's a custom designed solo canoe with a single sliding seat in

the middle and a removable carrying yoke.

I've paddled that canoe literally 1000's of km's including some

serious whitewater. It's taken numerous knocks and bumps and

has held up like a champ.

So yes, it's certainly not as durable as a royalex (plastic) canoe,

but it's tough enough for sure.

The fact that it's kevlar makes it lighter which means it's easier

to paddle with cleaner lines and more manouverability, plus it's

way easier to carry on the portages.

So....my opinion? Look for a used kevlar canoe in the 16-17' range.

There's different designs though, some with more rocker are more

suited to whitewater canoeing. Make sure you buy a "flatwater"

canoe, generally wider of beam and more flat bottomed.