Skein setup?

wuchikubo

Hi All,

I'm used to throwing artificial baits but have been lucky enough to have some skein from my last outing.

My question to all the skein anglers, which is the best set up for using it (assuming fresh skein) as I don't know how to cure it.

I saw another thread with a 4/0 hook and a massive amount of skein. Would one use it with a slip float or just let it sit on the bottom?

Thanks,

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

When I had skien, I always used it under a float with good success. I now usually bum a few pieces of skien off my friends who cut theirs into dime to quarter sized pieces and tied bags with them. The other option is to use an egg-loop knot (you can google it for instructions).

As for curing it, I found Pro-cure (found in many tackle shops) to be relatively idiot proof to use.

Hope this helps

Cut off a piece of skein about quarter size and using spiderwire the stuff for tying roe sacs, wrap around the skeen and the hook. stays on pretty good, messy but works well. I usually cut skeen into portions that can be used for day use and freeze it, if i have extra i just throw it back into the freezer.

Hi All,

I'm used to throwing artificial baits but have been lucky enough to have some skeen from my last outing.

My question to all the skeen anglers, which is the best set up for using it (assuming fresh skeen) as I don't know how to cure it.

I saw another thread with a 4/0 hook and a massive amount of skeen. Would one use it with a slip float or just let it sit on the bottom?

Thanks,

Stan

Hey Stan, that was my thread...

As far as curing the skein goes I use Pro-Cure, it's a commercial egg cure available at most tackle shops.

First cut the skein into large chunks and put it in a strainer with a bowl underneath.

Sprinkle the cure on the eggs and mix it through making sure all the eggs are lightly covered.

They'll immediately change colour and start oozing juice (thus the bowl underneath to catch it).

Put it in the fridge and let it sit for 2-3 hours then dump the eggs out on a bunch of paper towels and

sop up any leftover juice.

You can then put the eggs in a container and they'll be good in the fridge for around 3 months.

As you saw in my thread large hooks are mandatory usually used in conjunction with an egg loop.

(google "tying an egg loop" to learn how).

I strictly floatfish with skein chunks almost exclusively with a fixed float on a short 2-4' lead.

The salmon seem to have a propensity to come up or rise to a bait in my opinion especially

when they're milling around in an estuary...

Sometimes I'll use a slip float if I'm fishing deeper water off the piers for example, but even then

you don't really want your bait right on the bottom.

cheers

Thanks for the info everyone.

Just another question, once cured, is the weight different?

Can I just use a regular thill slip float or do I will have to buy a bigger slip float? Any suggestions on the best size of float?

My guess is that I will be using larger skein chunks (maybe close to twoonie size or slightly larger).

I have a crazy idea about a setup, but I'll try it out before I say more.

Stan

just read the instructions closely cliff, the part that reads "wear gloves" ain't foolin I had bright pink hands for a month once

Don't wear gloves then you can call in sick to work and go fishing .When you return to the job once they see your hands there will be no questions. B)

im not a fan of commercial cures.for skien fishing butterfly the skien lay it on newspaper cover the top with newspaper and let it air dry for about a day leave it somewhere cool like the basement or garage or fridge.next fill a strong ziplock with borax and drop the skien in now shake the hell out of it.cut each skien into day size slabs i usually get 6 out of 2 skiens.put them into thier own ziplocks add more borax and freeze.take a bag with u and cut chunks off the slab as u need it fish it under a fixed or slip float.another simple cure for roe bags fishing.take some sea salt or kosher salt make a saturated solution with water.drop the skien in let it stand for about 4-5 mins do not let it sit to long or the roe dries out.remove skien shake of excess water.scrape the skien with a plastic spoon take loose eggs and put in a strainer let stand for several mins to remove more water.place in sandwich bags twist to remove air,then place those bags into good ziplocks.put ziplocks into a paper bag and freeze.

No need to cure it,...use fresh stuff for 2 weeks or so in the fridge using spider wire to the hook as someone suggested,...the rest cut up into usable outing portions and seal airtight into freezer bags,..use a straw if you have to,..wrap each little baggy in paper towel then seal in another bag,..again airtight,..then put em all together in one big aritight bag,..and wrap in newspaper and throw in the freezer,...remove each pack the night b4 fishing,...and either tie into spawn mesh or use whole chinks with spider wire on hook,...this way it will be fresh as they day you sliced the queen open for 2-3 months or so,....my guess and experience says you'll catch more fish this way than using rubberized cured skein

Edited by Milty

im not a fan of commercial cures.for skien fishing butterfly the skien lay it on newspaper cover the top with newspaper and let it air dry for about a day leave it somewhere cool like the basement or garage or fridge.next fill a strong ziplock with borax and drop the skien in now shake the hell out of it.cut each skien into day size slabs i usually get 6 out of 2 skiens.put them into thier own ziplocks add more borax and freeze.take a bag with u and cut chunks off the slab as u need it fish it under a fixed or slip float.another simple cure for roe bags fishing.take some sea salt or kosher salt make a saturated solution with water.drop the skien in let it stand for about 4-5 mins do not let it sit to long or the roe dries out.remove skien shake of excess water.scrape the skien with a plastic spoon take loose eggs and put in a strainer let stand for several mins to remove more water.place in sandwich bags twist to remove air,then place those bags into good ziplocks.put ziplocks into a paper bag and freeze.

Thanks Fishtat2,

I had heard about a non-commercial curing process but wasn't quite sure about it. Only thing now is about the borax. I'm not sure I have anything in the house as most of the dangerous stuff was taken out when we had kids.

Thank again for the reply.

Stan

No need to cure it,...use fresh stuff for 2 weeks or so in the fridge using spider wire to the hook as someone suggested,...the rest cut up into usable outing portions and seal airtight into freezer bags,..use a straw if you have to,..wrap each little baggy in paper towel then seal in another bag,..again airtight,..then put em all together in one big aritight bag,..and wrap in newspaper and throw in the freezer,...remove each pack the night b4 fishing,...and either tie into spawn mesh or use whole chinks with spider wire on hook,...this way it will be fresh as they day you sliced the queen open for 2-3 months or so,....my guess and experience says you'll catch more fish this way than using rubberized cured skein

Thanks Milty,

Your reply seems to be the easiest method so far. Less chemicals in the water too. Thanx.

I have had great success with just taking either Rainbow or Salmon skeins and pulling them apart into pieces that I tie up in mesh just like loose eggs only a bit messier. The advantage to me is won't come off the hook and you can use the smaller hooks less chance of the salmon or rainbow seeing them.