Career in jeopardy (NF)

oncogene

Not fish...

I'm fairly new here so i guess barely anyone really know me.... but sorry i just want to rant..

I'm doing grad school, PhD in a research-based science field. Things haven't been going well for me at all. I've been at it for several years... more years than I or anyone would expect or want. I've gone thru the slow-death of my first project, and the tragic ends of my 2nd, and then 3rd projects. I can tell u, it's the worst feeling in the world when in a day you looked at some data/result and realized what you did for the last 1-2 years for a project was a complete waste... and I had the luxury of having it happen twice, not to mention the slow-death of 1st project.

Oh and that's NOT even the bad part I want to rant!

So now Sept, new school year starts. I was just informed that due to my extended years, and my prof losing 1 of his public fundings from last year, my prof will not provide any student stipend for my research after the end of 2007 (or maybe he just wants me out). So basically I'll have absolutely ZERO INCOME, while having to pay $6000 tuition, pay rent, utilities, phone bills etc.... oh and the least important part, buying foods.!!

So I have 2 choices, either quit (& waste all these years of grad school), or somehow find some money somewhere. Having no real job and no saving while living on minimum student stipend the last few years, borrowing money from banks will be tougher than tough. Borrowing from OSAP (government) is possibly but even the maximum loan possible (which is not likely to be have) from OSAP is still a few thousand dollars short of my minimum student stipend.

I'm totally lost right now, no idea what to do in 3 months time. Maybe this will be the final nail on the coffin for me to quit & go work in Timmy or something.. i duno really.

Edited by oncogene

If you are any good with mechanical you might look into becoming a tradesman it has worked out for me and has provided a very good

way to make a living. I decided to become a plumber and have come to find that people will always need a plumber as long as they have inside plumbing in their house.

Art

My 2 cents...

If this is truly what you enjoy doing, perhaps try to see if you can get some assistance from family members, or take some time away from studies to work full or part time to save enough up that you can return to it in 4, 6, 12 months.

If you aren't sure this is the rewarding and fulfilling career you once thought it was, don't look at it as a waste of time. Instead, try to learn from it and use it as your inspiration to not make the same mistakes again and end up in a position where you are regretting a decision you made. People change careers several times throughout their lives these days, and most would tell you that the change was the best thing that they did. I believe we need to constantly challenge ourselves, and put ourselves in a position that is almost scary, to achieve the best we are capable of.

Good luck, and I hope in a year or 2 you will look back on this point in your life just chuckle and realize it wasn't so bad after all.

Be positive, and good things will happen.

Tony

Ouch...you need to keep your head up. Although your prof may have lost funding you need to look to some of your other contacts. Assuming that you have visited many talks and hopefully presented some of your findings in industry related events you may have to look no further than another school.

My wife and sister both followed the academic route. I know from their experience that more important than the piece of paper your degree is on will be the contacts you have made along the way. I will hope for you that you have really poured your soul into this and that you could find another professor with a similar area of focus to transfer your time to.

OR

Get really good at something else, really quickly.

My wife became a really good Mom. Nobody judges her for her decision. If you CHOOSE to leave, make it your choice and become the best at what you will do. Life is far to short for moaning and bellyaching. Get up, lift up your chin and be the best!!!

Hey Oncogene,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Since you are in Kingston, I assume that you are at Queen's? That's where I did my graduate studies as well; just finished my PhD last year, in Poli Sci, and so I fully understand what you are going through. It took me six years to finally complete the damn thing, and as I'm sure you know, guaranteed funding lasts for only four years. For the remaining two years, I had to take on a part-time job, which slowed down my progress even more as it was tough to find the time to sit down and write the thesis. It was a nightmare, but it all ended on a good note.

I think the question that you should be asking yourself is how badly you want the degree. Doing my PhD was the loneliest thing that I ever did, the worst S.O.B that I've ever come across, but in retrospect, all that gnashing of teeth was worth it. So if I were you, I would try to stick to the program and get something out of all these years spent in the library (in your case, in the lab), even if I had to take on a part-time job and/or go into debt. Average completion time for PhDs in Canada is nearly seven years in social sciences, and slightly shorter in science and engineering, and so I don't think you are that behind the schedule. It's a very personal choice though, a decision that only you can make, but for what it's worth, I think it's worth the pain--you've spent all these years anyways.

Having said that, you need to approach your advisor again and try to get a sense of what his assessment of your project is and its feasibility. Your supervisor is the MOST IMPORTANT person in your life right now, and without his support, things are only going to get worse. He should be the first person to seek counsel regarding your situation, and if the guy is a decent prof, he should be sympathetic to your plight and give you some honest advice. Since money is a big problem, approach the Chair also and ask him if there is any extra money to help you--TAship, RAship, teaching fellowship, etc--departments usually have some slugh money lying around, thought not always. If there is no money to be found, the only option is getting a part-time job or taking out a loan. Get OSAP first, and if that's not enough, take a student loan from a bank. It shouldn't be too difficult to get the loan so long as you have an okay credit history; alternatively, you could ask you parents to co-sign for the loan.

If you decide to quit, don't feel too bad about it. Attrition rates in PhD programs are quite high nowadays, at around 50 percent in some programs. I know many, many friends who quit in the middle of the whole thing, and they are all doing just fine. Either way you decide, you have nothing but best wishes. I really hope it works out for you.

It has to be tough watching all that work you did turn out badly. It can't be that different though than people who start up a new business and no matter what they do it goes under.....

If you really believe in what you are doing you will find a way to carry on somehow.

If you can't finish your degree for whatever reason. The fact is that there are a HUGE number of jobs out there right now, some of them might only be minimum wage but they are there for the taking. I know lots of students who make do with OSAP working two or three part time jobs so it can be done.

In my first degree (aquaculture), a friend of mine was doing his master and a month before the 1 year long experiment someone stole all the shrimps he used for the experiment. His project ended just a few final data short !

All I want to say is keep your chin up. As previously suggested, talk to your advisor or see if someone else would take you at this point. Edison tried a few thousands matrials before he found the right one to invent the light bulb, he didn't take the failures as a defect. And he reached his goal at the end. Hope the same holds true for you too, eventually.

I used to be involved in science research and worked with many grad students,...INSERC as I recall was a very good outlet for funding and many students sought it themselves,...also,..private funding ,..depending on what you are researching may be your best bet. If I knew specifics of what your research involves,..I may be able to help a little in pointing a direction,...lemme know,...Until then,,..Chin up!!

I took firefighting about ten years ago at college, and after years of working in the retail field waiting for my perfect job, I realized I needed to change that perfect job and last year I got into going to school again, this time I took a high demand trade that didn't keep you in school for years. I was in school from January 06 to december that same year! The day after I finished school, I got a job with the local heating company. Best move I ever made! and Algonquin has a course starting in January......

or there is always the military!

Good luck to you!

Denis

Edited by Tinman

Or you can move out west and try their fantastic Trades programs. Obviously your going to have work like most of us do. Remember, It took years and years of hardships for most of us to get to where we are satisfied. Your young so be patient. Good advice from the other guys above. Remember keep your head up and soldier on as they say

My friends and I went to college or university in the early 70's, NONE of us actually worked in the fields that we started out in . The one guy with the PHD NEVER worked in his area of expertise because he was too smart and went strait to mamagement and is now a CEO of a big multinational company. Take heart not all is lost it is just another turn of the road of life.

vance

Hey Oncogene,

I want to tell you something... In order for us to get stronger as individuals we must go through some sort of trial or tribulation. If this is really what you have your heart set on; then go for it. Just ask yourself "What is it that I can do to get myself out of this mess?" You are the only person that can dictate the outcome of this situation. Whether it means, working 3 jobs, getting a loan, borrowing off parents or friends etc. You do what you do to get by and get to where you are going! We are all pulling for you!!! Goodluck!