shore salmon action

frozen-fire

Haven't fished for salmon in 5-6 years, and decided to fight some of these brutes this year. Tried a week ago at Port Hope without any success, so I decided to visit another river mouth.

I wake up at 3:30 and get to the destination at about 4:30am. At this point, the rain is coming down hard. I was so disappointed. I walk to the area to be fished and find out that I'm alone. I then see some guy in a yellow rainjacket. i'm relieved now, since this is my first time fishing here, and it was really wet and dark... if anything were to happen, he'd be my only help. The rocks were slippery, but i managed to find a nice spot and start casting. About 10-15 casts later, I get a solid hit very close to shore. At this point, my whole body is shaking as I'm reeling in this fish. The guy in the rainjacket yells something, but i can't hear anything with all the wind and rain in my face. About 7-10 minutes later, after a couple runs, the fish surfaces and I had to climb down to the water and net the fish myself. It's not easy I tell you. I bring the fish up and take some measurements and pics. 33 inches in length and 16lbs8oz.

DSC00559.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

I'm jumping with joy as another fisherman walks up. I offer my fish to him, but he declines it and tells me to give it to the yellow rainjacket guy. I walk over there with my fish and find out he's already landed one... similar size to mine.

The three of us start to cast together and a couple casts later, the guy that just came gets a hit and i help him land the nice female. we chatted for a bit and discuss how the fish are really active now and you can clearly see LOTs of fish clearing the water.

We continue casting and I get another hit, the fight didn't even last one minute though, as it surfaced and shook my lure out.

Then I fish for another hour, before getting another solid hit... I got a little impatient here, and tried to hold the spool as it was going on one of it's runs, but i guess i put too much pressure and it broke off taking my lure with it. :(

I have school the smae morning, so I decide to head home and take a hot shower first. The drive home was not comfortable being completely wet.

Edited by frozen-fire

I'm jumping with joy as another fisherman walks up. I offer my fish to him, but he declines it and tells me to give it to the yellow rainjacket guy. I walk over there with my fish and find out he's already landed one... similar size to mine.

I would never offer a fish to another fishermen. I rather let it go. :glare: And live another day. Too many folks kill them for thier eggs and leave them to spoil.

Other than that, nice fish.

dsn

Edited by dsn

I would never offer a fish to another fishermen. I rather let it go. :glare: And live another day. Too many folks kill them for thier eggs and leave them to spoil.

Other than that, nice fish.

dsn

thanks.

the fish was not going to survive. took a while for me to remove the hook from the upper jaw and it was lifeless when i wanted to revive it. it was either to give it away or to throw it back and stink up the shoreline. of course the best option would be to revive it and let it do it's business upstream, but that wasn't likely going to happen in this case. sorry though.

thanks.

the fish was not going to survive. took a while for me to remove the hook from the upper jaw and it was lifeless when i wanted to revive it. it was either to give it away or to throw it back and stink up the shoreline. of course the best option would be to revive it and let it do it's business upstream, but that wasn't likely going to happen in this case. sorry though.

Bummer. Oh well sorry didn't know. Least you tried.