Minn Kota Power Drives

Sinker

I have a 55 pd. It can be a real mother f..... to get out of the mount sometimes. You guys have any tricks to getting it out? Its starting to get on my nerves.....I have to bang it a few times to loosen it, then it slides out no prob......

Just to be clear, the shaft slides no problem, it just doesn't want to come out of the bracket when I first try and get it in the water.

Is there some sort of lube I can put on there so its not so hard to get out?

I litterally have to hit it with force a few times to get it off the mount.

Sinker

I use a product called "Dri Film". I get it from Home Hardware. It's a silicone spray, goes on wet drys clear. Armour All would work too.

Hey Ron,

This is your old motor :thumbsup_anim:

It works great, and it slides just fine. Its just tough to get out of the mounting bracket when I first deploy it.

I keep the shaft lubed up with the dri film like you showed me. It seems to stick on the rubber guard when its in the stowed position. I have to give it a couple good whacks to deploy.

Is it just me :wallbash:

Sinker

Had the same problem with mine. Also blew up the foot control.

Just pull the lever and give her a boot. Works for me.

Plus never buy another Minn Kota product. I sure won't be.

And I'm not basing that statement on just my own issues.

Several good friends / fishermen have had the same issues

and had worse luck than me. They need to improve their testing and insure reliability before

the "new" products are released.

Sorry about jumping this thread with my own "rant".

Hookset.

Edited by Hookset

Mine was a pain until recently when someone told me how to deploy it. Not sure if it is the same issue you are having. Try this:

One hand on the grib clip thingy, the other hand on the shaft just down from the head part of the trolling motor. As you hold the clip open, push down slightly and forward on the shaft. Mine works flawlessly now. I use to try and deploy it by wiggling the prop part out of the holder and it was nearly impossible. Now it slips right out everytime..

Sherriff

Well it sounds like they're all the same to me :wallbash: Just a bad design. Like I saie earlier, once the motor is deployed it works great.

Mine was a pain until recently when someone told me how to deploy it. Not sure if it is the same issue you are having. Try this:

One hand on the grib clip thingy, the other hand on the shaft just down from the head part of the trolling motor. As you hold the clip open, push down slightly and forward on the shaft. Mine works flawlessly now. I use to try and deploy it by wiggling the prop part out of the holder and it was nearly impossible. Now it slips right out everytime..

Sherriff

Thanks Sherriff.......I'lll try that and let ya know how it works out.

Sinker

Hey Sinker,

I don't recall ever having a problem deploying that unit. Same as the new one I bought, my buddy had the same issue as you, difficult to deploy. I gave him a quick lesson on "how to".....

When you pull back on the unlock handle, pull with a steady force towards the head of the trolling motor, this will tilt the angle of the power drive motor slightly. With your left hand, prop you fore arm inside your left knee. Squeeze your left knee towards the drive motor. It will come out with ease this way.