Question top water lures / night fishing

drufis

Hello all,

Never really used top water lures until this past week. What a rush to see those bass come to the surface and snatch that lure, we used them especially in the early early morning and a bit at night. Couple of questions, for targetting bass,

- Do top water baits produce bigger fish, all the fish we caught on top water baits were between 3-5 pounds, will smaller fish hit them also.

- What is your favorite lure to use at night.

Have a good one

Hello all,

Never really used top water lures until this past week. What a rush to see those bass come to the surface and snatch that lure, we used them especially in the early early morning and a bit at night. Couple of questions, for targetting bass,

- Do top water baits produce bigger fish, all the fish we caught on top water baits were between 3-5 pounds, will smaller fish hit them also.

- What is your favorite lure to use at night.

Have a good one

There's not a better sound then a big bass hitting a top water bait!

As for your questions I've had everything from a panfish to a big pike hit my topwaters. The size of the lure would usually determine the size of the fish.

As for night fishing, if I am going for bass I like using noisy crankbaits fished slowly to help the bass find it in the dark.

Smaller fish will hit them also, in waters with muskie they may be more cautious. Lure choice for me depends entirely on what kind of water I am fishing at night and results. A plastic frog rigged texas style may go thru heavy weeds better than some other lures like a jitterbug with exposed hooks. I like to keep my lure in the water where the fish are, not spend time clearing weeds off it.

Just my experience the amount of noise a lure makes means nothing, I have caught more on lures that don`t make noise, jig and pig, plastic worm, tube. The lure doesn`t have to be on the surface they can and do find it in the dark, but you have to locate them.

Ah, you just found probably the most fun when fishing and thats top water. My favorite is a calm quiet night. The best lure for nite has been a popper. The secret is to cast and pause. Pot the lure and pause. 99 percent of the time the fish will take it on the pause. You have to strike the fish by sound. Most of my fish have been smallmoth and rockbass. A jitterbug is really good too. Black id good as well as a frog color, however its the noise and action thats most important