Kawartha Report Saturday

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Decided to try another kawartha lake. We get there and right off the bat we are hooing puny smallies one after another I mean 1/4 of a pound. I also got my tube bit off twice. Threw out the musky baits with no luck.

Followed a tip I had heard about the lake. Worked some deep weedlines. I seen a very small pickeral follow to the boat. Kept casting. My lure stops dead in its tracks. I am pulling it in and this thing wont come up.

I'm thinking its gotta big a musky. Bring it to the boat and its a nice pickeral! It wouldn't come up! It gave me a nice fight! Finally got it in the net. And the hook pops out. This fish fought so hard it actually bent the hook of my jig out! Unfortunately I noticed way later and lost a few nibbles....

24 inches.

kawartha001.jpg

I also had a nice pickeral a little smaller, follow right to the boat. But no hook up.I was also catching lots of 1 lb largies....I wanted to redo the drift, but with Musky baits or a Jig and pig but we decided to explore the lake. Mark has still to catch a decent fish.

We fished some really skinny water but it seems to me the fish weren't shallow much this summer. Could be the cold water temps. I believe last year at this time it was in the 80's....

We were fishing a 4 to 6 foot flat with weeds about a foot under the surface. It had bucktail written all over it. Was working the bucktail and saying that a fish has got to hit this soon and right on Q? Whack! I bring in a 1lb or so Largie(not picture worthy).

I keep working the area and I am chatting with Mark. Watching my bait in crystal clear water and right at the boat! Huge explosion! Even though I was using that thick BPS rod, I could feel the weight of the fish and it taking drag. Its a musky! It came out of no where. Either from under the boat or lunged out from the weeds.

If I am not mistaken my first decent bucktail Musky.Not a big one but I'll take it!!

kawartha003.jpg

Worked all kinds of different structure and only came up with a lot of small bass. Lucky if it tipped the 1 1/2 lb mark....Couldn't find the big bass.

We then decided to go back to the spot we caught the pickeral. I bombed around the musky baits for a bit with no luck. Then went back to targetting pickeral. Not long after, I get another hit, nice little fight and the pickeral is in the boat,. It was lightly hooked and the hook popped out. Here is the pic.

kawartha004.jpg

Now I have to give credit where it is due. The new HMX fenwick are not as good as the old ones. They are really flexible with average back bone. Not good for setting hooks on most applicatins but great for small crank baits and pickeral fishing. Both pickeral were hooked barely and the flexible rod did not tear the jig out of the mouth.I have seen better pickeral rods but for $60 bucks you cant go wrong.

Another strange thing happened. I felt some weight, set the hook and I have a snag. I cant move it and with the flexible fenwick I didn't want to break it, so I hand pulled the line and it started coming in slowly. I bring in a clump of weeds and a 1 lb largie. Wierd...

Well...Thats all I can remember. The lake is a good pickeral lake but I dont know where the big bass are. Still not confident with the drop shot........

Anyways!Hope you enjoyed the report!Guess who is having pickeral dinner tonight!

Oh YA. I forgot to mention. Picked up my first jig and pig rock bass. There was quite a few of them in there. Sorry no pics Rich!

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks! I have filleted the smaller pickeral(3rd pic) and will eat it today. Remember guys. Roasted garlic butter fish crisp. This stuff has even turned me into a fish eater!!!!