Thursday Fishing Report.

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Wanted to go fishing Thursday. Put up the post. Got a few takers but no active board members, which was disappointing. I was sent an email from a avid angler and I liked what I heard. Still I was scheptical.

He left his number, I give him a call and after chatting I realize he is a hard core fisherman. I asked him where he wanted to go, and he said he was hoping I would bring him to one of my spots...NOT.LOL He then tells me he invited his friend. I really don't like 3 people in a boat. Its hard to cover water properly,lines get tangled and you can hit each other with casts(which actually did happen).

I decided its better than working, so agreed. We agreed on a little lake that niether of us has ever fished.

Got there and it was COLD! North wind blowing at 20-25 K. Overcast skies.Water temp 67 degrees.

Started working some water. The wind was too much for my guests so we looked for shelter. These guys like fishing deep weedlines and that is fine with me. We hit a deep weedline but the wind kept blowing us off so we anchored and worked it thouroughly. I was casting out a crankbait and got a hit. A 1lb pickeral giver or take(not picture worthy). Next cast? Wham. Another pickeral slightly bigger.

I told the guy there must be a school sitting on bottom. He switches to a tube jig and about 5 minutes later brings a pickeral in.

We continue the pattern, I got a few nibbles but couldn't hook anything up. Could have been perch though.

hooked something small but it came off right away.

We decided to explore. I see these really thick weeds. My guests are reluctant to fish thick weeds. I say we will throw a few casts and see what happens. The sun started to peek out. I see a pocket about 5-8 feet away. Pitch in my 1/4 black and blue booyah jig. And I see the line dance. Set the hook and the fight is on. First decent smallie on a jig and pig. I am really pumped!!!

Smalllake001.jpg

Oh I watched an episode of Extreme angler this morning and he was using the same presentation, only a heavier 1/2 ounce jig with the same pig trailer. Great show Karl!

Covered more water with not much luck. Went back to the pickeral pattern. I was using a tube jig and got a hit. On the very next cast, fish on, a decent smallie.

Smalllake003.jpg

Then we decided to let the drif take us. We hit these really dead looking weeds. My guests didn't like what they say but I say lets give it a shot. We see the guy next to us bring in a 1 lb Largie.

I am working the weed edge and decide to bomb out the jig and pig into deep open water. I wait for it to hit bottom. On my first jig i feel a hit. I say, I got a hit, wait a few seconds and set the hook!! Fish on! Was fighting wierd. At first I felt weight and am thinking big pike. The closer it got the funnier it fought. I'm thinking maybe its just a small pike. I knew it wasn't a pickeral or bass. Bring it to the boat and its a nice sized dog fish! Was fighting like an eel and not a fish. wierd. They usually put up a heck of a scrap. How disappointing! We had seen a fish swimming like a serpant/sea monster and told the guys there must be dog fish in there and there was.

Smalllake004.jpg

It destroyed my jig and pig and broke one of the rattles!

After that my guest nailed a small largie and lost it at boat side.

Then I make a call and we start working some semi dead weeds across the lake. Again, my guests are sceptical. But this is when the action turned on....It started getting hot and humid.

We were working the edge and fish on. Guest brings in another small pickeral. Then brings in a small Smallie, then brings in a decent perch, then brings in a decent pike.

Then I get a wake on my spinner bait, but I was using my crank bait rod. Too much flex. And no hook up. Proper equipment for the right applications is very important in fishing. But with limited equipment I have to make due with what I have.

Then I switch to plastics and I get a hit! DANG I missed it! Thow it out again and WHACK! A decent pickeral.

Smalllake006.jpg

Its around 4 oclock and the fishing is really turned on. Though after some casting complications, one guy didn't want to fish no more. Then the other guy didn't want to fish if his friend wasn't fishing, So I fished for 15 minutes. Was going to go to the launch but it was busy so I fished around the launch for a bit and we called it a day.

Over all it was decent fishing. We caught a fair amount of fish,some smaller smallies we didn't photograph and we caught dinner. Its unfortunate just when the fishing picked up we had to leave but I was still pleased with our results. Hope you enjoyed the report!

Its around 4 oclock and the fishing is really turned on. Though after some casting complications, one guy didn't want to fish no more. Then the other guy didn't want to fish if his friend wasn't fishing

i feel your pain. the same thing happens almost every time when I get some of my friends to the boat and this really pisses me off :D

p.s. nice report

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks guys. Well the one guy that wanted to leave had gotten up at 3:30(he lives in Whitby)to be at his friends house by 4:30, to be at my house by 5:30. Plus he had to wake up early the next day to go to work. I think the fact that he wasn't catching anything didn't help either....Real nice quiet man so I'm cool with that.

It was hard to leave the lake with the excellant pickeral bite, but I did bring home a few smaller ones and released the big one.