Two Days on the Rideau River (Aug. 27 & 28) - Report and Pics

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

DAY ONE

Was down at my folk's place for two days earlier in the week (Monday and Tuesday), so decided to search a stretch of the Rideau for some decent bass. Launched on the river at 6:45am to a glorious morning of sunshine and calm waters..

Dad01.jpg

Headed north up the river to where I had previously discovered some new water that looked promising - it had also coughed up a 4lber on a previous outing. Began working some flats and deeper water, tossing bigger baits, including the Double Wide Beaver, flipping jigs, cranks and Spooks.

Although the water looked mint, the fish were not willing to play. Eventually got the first fish in the boat 1.5 hours in, that fell for a Zoom Toad in two-feet of water. Began to wonder if it would be a tougher day than I imagined.

With the sun beginning to really beat down, I headed to some new slop/scum areas that appeared productive. Boated six fish over the next hour, working the edges with a Booyah flipping jig, and probing deeper inwards with a Texas-rigged Peca Craw. This was my first time using this bait, and I was very impressed! Awesome action in the water!

My Dad called on my cell at this point to join me on the water, so back to the launch ramp to pick him up. Told him the new slop was holding some fish, so back up we went.

Didn't take my Dad long to get his first fish of the day..

Dad05.jpg

You can see the heavy scum we were working in the background.

One of my better fish of the day..

Dad06.jpg

Dad07.jpg

A good shot of the jig and trailer I was using..

Dad08.jpg

Lots of loons on this stretch of the Rideau, and these two juvenile birds let us get really close without being bothered..

Dad02.jpg

Dad03.jpg

Also came across an interesting sight - a solitary Tundra Swan! We saw a pair of these this past spring, making a stop on their migration route. Sadly, couldn't get close enough for a decent picture..

Dad04.jpg

Decided to head over to some pad and slop areas that consistently hold fish. Picked up some fish on the Peca Craw and jig..

Dad09.jpg

Working the area over with my favourite bait..

Dad10.jpg

Dad11.jpg

My Dad was having a tough time putting the fish in the boat, and ended up losing 5 or 6 decent fish. Sadly, for the day, he only landed one fish. (he got a bit of ribbing out on the boat in regards to his fishing prowess! ha ha)

I put 16 largies over the gunnel for the day, but nothing of any great size.

Was hoping for some bigger fish, but who can complain about a sunny day, good numbers of largies and even better company?

DAY TWO

Headed back out on the river the next day, arriving at the launch at 10:30am. Brought my Mom along for the boat ride...she gets quite scared of how fast the boat goes (it only has 20 horses!) and doesn't like the waves that other boats give off. ha ha Of course I had to hit some good waves, just to put a bit of fear in her... ;)

Dad14.jpg

Headed back up to the slop and scum from the previous day. Sadly, most of it had blown away and broken up. My Dad was quick off the mark, however, and put the first fish in the boat within 10 minutes. Didn't take a photo as I figured we'd have a banner day - sadly, such as the previous outing, it was his only fish he put in the boat.

Went in search of new water, and found some nice slop and docks back south down the river.

A typical fish from this stretch..

Dad12.jpg

And another one..

Dad13.jpg

Fished for 4.5 hours in total, and I put 12 largies in the boat. My Dad got to hear good-natured ribbing from both my Mom and myself this day!

All in all, a fun two days on the water. 28 largies, and although none were overly big, each and every one was fun!

The big girls will be turning on soon!

Until next time..

Good Fishing,

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report! I use the exact same booyah jig and trailer(only different colour). You seem to be catching alot of numbers in a short period of time with the jig and pig. I have been catching limited fish, though I dont work it exclusively all day.

I also notice you work extremly shallow water with your jig and pig. I like to work from 6-13 feet!

How shallow is it under that slop and what weight jig head are you using??

Hey Johnny,

If you haven't already guessed it, the flipping jig is my number one bait for largies. Many days I throw it exclusively, and I still believe that it will account for the bigger fish that swim in the water you cover.

I use a 3/8oz jig 80% of the time. This is used to cover water anywhere from 1 to 10 or so feet deep. In terms of the slop visible in the above photos, the water depth was between 2 and 4-feet deep. We did take some fish from water less than a foot, mainly under shoreline slop and docks. Many people are surprised by how shallow of water a largie will lurk under - I've caught some of my biggest fish in less than 2-feet!

The water is crystal-clear on many lakes and rivers I fish up here, and 75% of the time you will see the bass shoot out and suck in the jig. Roughly half of the bass I catch flipping will grab the jig before it hits bottom on the initial drop - the other half have to be coaxed in to hitting by repeatedly jigging the bait up and down. I have been known to do this for as long as 30 seconds if I believe fish are in the area. Rattles are mandatory for jig fishing, as they definitely help in calling fish in from afar. Scent is also always applied when I jig fish..

In the late fall, when targetting largies on deep water rock, I will turn to 1/2 or 3/4oz jigs, especially if the waves and wind is up.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and better fishing,

Justin

Guest Johnny Bass
Hey Johnny,

If you haven't already guessed it, the flipping jig is my number one bait for largies. Many days I throw it exclusively, and I still believe that it will account for the bigger fish that swim in the water you cover.

I use a 3/8oz jig 80% of the time. This is used to cover water anywhere from 1 to 10 or so feet deep. In terms of the slop visible in the above photos, the water depth was between 2 and 4-feet deep. We did take some fish from water less than a foot, mainly under shoreline slop and docks. Many people are surprised by how shallow of water a largie will lurk under - I've caught some of my biggest fish in less than 2-feet!

The water is crystal-clear on many lakes and rivers I fish up here, and 75% of the time you will see the bass shoot out and suck in the jig. Roughly half of the bass I catch flipping will grab the jig before it hits bottom on the initial drop - the other half have to be coaxed in to hitting by repeatedly jigging the bait up and down. I have been known to do this for as long as 30 seconds if I believe fish are in the area. Rattles are mandatory for jig fishing, as they definitely help in calling fish in from afar. Scent is also always applied when I jig fish..

In the late fall, when targetting largies on deep water rock, I will turn to 1/2 or 3/4oz jigs, especially if the waves and wind is up.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and better fishing,

Justin

Actually it helps ALOT! Fishing lures is all about confidence. I want to know what I am doing is the right method.

My initial luck was with a 3/8 ounce jig. I lost it and bought 2, 1/4 ounce jigs and have had limited success. I have another 2, 3/8 ounce jigs but no rattles, so I have no confidence in them.

I figure if the fish hits it on the way down, the lighter fall of a 1/4 ounce in shallow water would be better, but I guess not..... It must take a second for a 3/8 jig to hit the ground in 3 feet or less....

I have had some luck on my jigs but I have yet to see a fish come out and wack it...I catch them jigging off bottom as you mentioned or hopping it.

I think I will go back to 3/8 ounce jig. Though it will be hard for me to work a jig in pig in 3 feet or less since I have baits I am more confident in working skinny water, but I will give it a try!Thanks!