Mouth of Bronte

mistaredone

I'm heading out to the mouth of Bronte this Friday with all the wrong gear and only a little knowledge. I have a 7 foot med heavy action rod I use for pike fishing on 10 lb test. Thinking ill throw some little Cleo's and crank baits from the light house. Any chance of landing a fish on that getup? I would love to take a fish home if I catch anything and was wondering if there is a choice spices/size/gender to take/put back. Sorry for the stupid question but I have always been a lake fisherman and I could never stand being shoulder to shoulder during the run. I'm pretty sure the fish are in that area at the moment but please correct me if I'm wrong.

One of the biggest Kings I've ever caught( 29lbs )was caught with a very similar set-up, Mistaredone. And it was at the exact spot you're going to. Yup, I remember before I got big into pier casting, I used my all-purpose 7 foot road with 8lbs line. The lighter line helped increase the casting distance. And Cleos are a pretty heavy little spoon, so you'll get adequate distance with your set-up if you're casting Cleos.

Enjoy your day out there.

You should be able to land a fish on that set-up.

You'd want to release most fish over 10lbs, but if you get a little one it should be good to eat.

If you're expecting wide open spaces, you'll be unpleaseantly surprised. Bring your shoulderpads for the combat pier fishing...

Arrive well after dark 11:00pm+ or very early in the morning 4:00am-7:00am for your best chance at hooking up. Glow spoons and rattling crankbaits get the nod...

Tony

I was out at Bronte last year with a nice 7 ft pole. One problem. I was using my normal spinning reel that I use when I'm up north and in Kingston. I had 7 hook ups that night, 3 of them were right after another. I went 0 for 7 that night. Reason being that I didn't have enough line on my reel. Make sure that you use a large enough reel that can hold a good amount of line. That night I was spooled 3 times. When I tightened up my drag I broke the line three times and the last one spit the hook. After that I always used a 9.5 foot pole and a larger reel and haven't lost one yet.

I wouln't recommend keeping any salmon you catch off the pier. It's up to you though. They die after they move up the river and spawn and they are already starting to turn dark once they hit the mouth. Largest fish I got there last year was 28lbs. A real nice dark boot, lol.

JFish

You'll be fine with that set up

here's a good start to put the odds in your favor

Check your reel capacity and pick line weight that will give you the most capacity 6-10 lb is fine but more yards of 6 is way more important than going with heavier line. My biggest peir salmon was caught on 6lb.

Lures

Canadian wigglers

Spoon in 1/2 - 3/4 oz

Rattlin raps in 1/2+

The longer the cast the better

My fav pier lures

Fire Tiger Canadian Wiggler

3/4 Pixie Spoon

3/4 Fire dot Rattltrap

As night approaches switch over to glow lures. There's always someone around at this time of year with a net.

not to hijack your thread or anything but, i was just wondering would my flippin stick which is 7 1/2 feet long and heavy action work? i could toss on a abu c3 which holds plenty of line. would this combo work well? or should i use a spinning reel.

Pikeie, really any rod and real will work when casting for these.

The reason for longer rods is casting, and leverage when fighting.

Spinning reels are great cause of there castability but not nessasary.

Longer your line is in the water the more chance for a hook up. I can't tell you how many times I see the salmon coming for my cleo just as its about to exit the water :(

Line test is more about how far you cast, how much line you can put on the spool..

lower the test the farther you cast but if your bait hits the water, gets picked up right awayt by a big fish and runs out you will get spooled quickly.

Pick a 8-12 lb test depending on the amount of line you have to hold. If your useing light line 8-10 make sure you have enough line to let a good run and your bearings are lubed.

I use to cast for salmon from the time I was 8 to mid 20's, 7 foot spinning real with 12lb.. you win some you lose some.. But thats fishing

I have to agree on having a ton of line as being more important that the longer rod. The longer rod will help, especially as you can usually use the leverage to tire the fish faster. Nothing loses you more friends than having a 7ft rod getting a bunch of hookups and fighting fish for 20 minutes only to lose them, while everyone else has to stop and wait.... I run about 300yds minimum when the salmon are about as we like to shore fish right into the lake at a couple of spots and even with 340yds I have seen a lot of aluminum on the spool a couple of times....