another BOQ equipment question

Terry

I will be rigging one rod with lead core..if I learn how

so if someone can tell me how much lead core on the reel and then mono backing or whatever and if you run floro leader and how much and what knots you like to joint them with...the more info the more chance I just might get it right

Thanks

Hi Terry,

It depends on the reel and the leadcore... 18lb or 27lb? 5,6 or 10 Colour

I run a Penn 309 with 150yrds 30lb mono, willis knot to 10 colour 27lb cortland leadcore, willis knot to 20yrds seagaur fluoro leader.

You can get 6 colour mason pre-rigged with backing and leader as well, just spool it on.

-Brian

I run the smaller okuma 20's and Diawa 27's. I can get 4 colors of 18 lb lead core - more than enough

and 100 ft of 17lb flourocarbon

I typically run 1-2 colors of lead and the flouro off the boards and 2-3 colors flat lining direct behind the boat.

Terry you won't need the lead core if you are fishing for eyes in November.Most of the fish are suspended in the 10 to 30 ft range if you want to release a fish you are best to stay above 30ft or there is a risk that the walleyes swim bladder will swell and kill the fish.Mann's lures dive down deep enough a good set of clip weights can get you down and are very simple to use.

Mike :Gonefishing:

Hey Terry,

If you recall, last year at Quinte I showed you how I Super Glue the mono leader into the sheath of the lead core! Simply pull back the plastic sheath, about 3-4 inches, cut the core, then slide your leader into the sheath. Tack down the joint right where they meet with a single drop of glue. Allow it to dry for a minute, then you can cover the rest of the joint with super glue. It will reel up perfectly!

Allow about 15 minutes for the glue to dry and your good to go! I have NEVER had this system break!

HH

Terry

If your using the offshore boards pick up the OR-18 clamp down release. There around $20 each but worth every penny. You can run all different lines off em. Works great with braid right down to the 10lb range. Even works with the lead core.

I run the lead core to allow me a much broader lure selection - shallow lipped and especially spoons. Everybody pulls Manns and reef runners out there.