Skunked at the Pier

Douger

was at the pier today chucking lures from 2am-9am. skunked....

i fished from off the end to back inside, changing the depth & lures. there was a lot of jumping from 7 - 8:30, some in the harbour and a lot just west of the lighthouse.

i was wondering weather i could have done something different, or chose the wrong day to do b/c of the wamer temperatures, or if the bite simply wasn't on during that time.

any info would be appreciated.

Edited by Douger

Hey Douger! DOH!!! Got your PM earlier...sorry I haven't responded yet! Right now it's tough on this end of the lake...I've been out a few times to some eastern spots and haven't heard of or seen anyone pull one in as of yet. I think it may be timing. We'll hook up there in the next month for sure!

If you've seen them jumping and are certain that they are Salmon (and not Carp) then you know the fish are there and it is just a matter of fine tuning your presentation until something works.

Salmon are odd in that they will be caught on spoons one day but only plugs the next, right at the surface one day but ticking bottom the next, slow presentation one day but a jerky and erratic one the next. See what I am getting at? there are a lot of variables to tweak, but also, some days are just better than others. Keep at it, you'll hook up!

Chartreuse/Green little cleos in the 3/4 oz size are one of my favorites for dawn and dusk, not to leave out the famous Rapala J13 in Chartreuse/Silver, Orange/Gold or Firetiger. Silver/Blue Rattling Rapalas at night and glow spoons would round out a good sample of lures to try for Salmon.

Tony

I was there just to see how the fishing was, was going to stay for 20min but meet a person I knew and stayed for more then two hours. I saw few carp jumping. And odd salmon jumping far out of the reach.

It seem that it's very early right now, and the cold weather we had for 3-4days may have pushed them in closer. I'm sure they are coming in the morning and leaving later but no one was having any luck.