Relatives coming from the states, help with shore fishing

MDT

Hi everyone, I have a special request to the members of this board but this being my first post, I know it will be frown upon. I hope for your understanding of my situation.

First let me explain why I haven't posted anything. I was introduced to fishing this present summer, after the third time I was hooked. Ever since then I've been honing my fishing skills by reading anything related to fishing and filling up my tackle box. In the upcoming months I managed to get some of my friends hooked as well and we'd spend our weekends driving to the various lakes surrounding Toronto (within a 2 hour radius) searching for that elusive shore fishing spot that isn't overfished. So far, we've visited different parts of Cook's Bay and Lake Simcoe, Rice Lake, Lake Chemong, Mitchell Lake, St Catherine, shore fishing has been dissapointing to say the least, we'd catch an occasional big size fish here and there but nothing to write home about. We've decided to pool money together for a boat next year, so expect to see some reports from me next year.

Anyway on to the point of this post. My uncle and his family has finally managed to freed themselves from work and are paying us a visit

Instead of going to Cuba, they've decided to spend their weekend with us. They are workaholics and with 3 kids, it doesn't leave them much time for their own interests. They've been hearing about my crazy drive around Toronto searching for fishing spots and as it turns out they're also fishing enthusiasts. So I promised to take them fishing this weekend, boy am I starting to regret making that promise.

The pressure of the fishing trip not living up to their expectation and them leaving dissapointed has really gotten me worried. Shore spots around the popular lakes are usually packed on weekends thus make catching a fish difficult and would lose the interest of the kids. With the size of our family we'd have to rule out the option of renting a boat.

The only spot I have in mind so far is Mitchell Lake on Hartley RD by HWY 48. It's a beautiful place to take one family but on the weekend it's usually packed and it doesn't hold enough panfish to keep the kids happy.

We intend to keep some of our catch for them to enjoy at home. If you have any suggestions, please share them. I'd like to send them home with a big smile on their face.

Thank you in advance

Edited by MDT

Well there's always the option of coming up to Barrie, fish right at the foot of Bayfield St, there's parking right nearby and a couple of picnic tables at hand. Shore fishing will get you a variety of panfish with the odd bass and pike thrown in if you are lucky. If you get bored of that, you can take a quick walk or drive around to Centennial beach, about 1/4 mile around the bend right by the water fountain. Bait is available at Simcoe Bait and Tackle at the corner of Innisfil Rd and Tiffin St. Good luck.

How big is the family? If the family or group is about 6 or 7, one thing you can consider that is really fun is to rent a pontoon boat with a bbq on it. I did this once with a group of friends and it was a blast, eating drinking (no alcohol) and fishing. Not super serious fishing but I recall My team of two won the derby something like 18-9-2 over the other two teams. This was on Little Lake right in Barrie. Not sure if they still rent pontoons, had to be 5-6 years ago now. I think the place was called Cedar Park Campgrounds or something like that (I could be way off).

Unfortunately for you, I think shore spots that are given out on the internet are bound to be busy. That's just the nature of the beast.

As far as not living up to expectations, the effort you're going to shows the trip will be a success regardless of the fishing.

Good luck,

Charles

Well there's always the option of coming up to Barrie, fish right at the foot of Bayfield St, there's parking right nearby and a couple of picnic tables at hand. Shore fishing will get you a variety of panfish with the odd bass and pike thrown in if you are lucky. If you get bored of that, you can take a quick walk or drive around to Centennial beach, about 1/4 mile around the bend right by the water fountain. Bait is available at Simcoe Bait and Tackle at the corner of Innisfil Rd and Tiffin St. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice fishermen, I'm going to a make the trip down there today to do a little test fishing.

I think that they're starting to catch Salmon off the piers up there right now. That might be an option. Sorry, but I'm not from there, so I can't offer much more than that.

Hi DanC, thanks for the advice but I don't think I'm ready for Salmon fishing just yet, maybe next summer.

How big is the family? If the family or group is about 6 or 7, one thing you can consider that is really fun is to rent a pontoon boat with a bbq on it. I did this once with a group of friends and it was a blast, eating drinking (no alcohol) and fishing. Not super serious fishing but I recall My team of two won the derby something like 18-9-2 over the other two teams. This was on Little Lake right in Barrie. Not sure if they still rent pontoons, had to be 5-6 years ago now. I think the place was called Cedar Park Campgrounds or something like that (I could be way off).

Unfortunately for you, I think shore spots that are given out on the internet are bound to be busy. That's just the nature of the beast.

As far as not living up to expectations, the effort you're going to shows the trip will be a success regardless of the fishing.

If we didn't so many people, a plontoon would be my first choice.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm going to pay a visit to Eugenia Lake and Bayfield today in preparation for their arrival tomorrow.

If anyone has any other places to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck,

Charles

I was at little lake on last Sunday and all I can say is, pure pan fishes everywhere. If you just want to catch any fish, I recommend little lake renting a pontoon. Fishing is best around 5-8pm. If you go there, I can give you the exact location of where I caught about 50 pan fishes within 30 minutes. My friend caught a pike using top water jitter bug bait around 7:30... but yea..little lake is OK.

Have you thought about chartering a boat on Lake Ontario? (Fishing for Chinook and Coho Salmon, Rainbow Trout and the possibility of catching an Atlantic Salmon, Lake Trout or Brown Trout )

If you have a large group (eg more than 10) many of the operations can accomodate that with more than 1 boat.

The best part is, all of the stress and planning is elminated, instead you can enjoy this short and precious time catching up with family in-between reeling in fish.

You could even have the charter supply food and drinks (including Beer on tap if you wanted)

They also guarantee fish and if you go Saturday, you even have a chance at catching a derby winning fish as it is the last day of the Great Ontario Salmon Derby ( http://www.sportsmensshows.com/SalmonDerby/index.html )

A starting point... http://www.salmonexpress.com and if they are booked ask for a referral.

Also there is a link to Charter Boats in the link above for the Salmon Derby.

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Another possibility would be Couchiching Beach Park in Orilla...

There is a fishing pier right near the Harbour Masters Building, lots of playground equipment for the little ones and a beach for swimming, lots of picnic tables...

Edited by Beans

Another possibility would be Couchiching Beach Park in Orilla...

There is a fishing pier right near the Dock Masters Building, lots of playground equipment for the little ones and a beach for swimming, lots of picnic tables...

Norm thats a great spot aswell,and LOTS, to do in that area.Theres even the Kings Buffet right there.ALL YOU CAN EAT. Sorry,I just like to eat .Also there is the mariposa store.Great food and treats.You can also take a boat ride on the cruise ship. Heck you can even do that in Barrie,and we have Hooters. :oops: Maybe to far fetched for the young ones. :blush:

Heres a few links for you to gander at,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Barrie

Orrilla