Night Time Fishing

smokinall4s

I took my son out to finally see Transformers, the movie. After the movie was done, 9pm, I decieded to go to a spot that we've tried a few times, with no luck, for some night time fishing. We stopped off at Timmy's for some of his favourite donuts and then to the spot. Luck has it that no one was there and it was a calm night. After we ate the donuts my son asked if we could go fishing. I said yes but I wasn't sure as to what to use for bait. He was still set-up from the morning outing so I just put a plastic worm on his line with the bobber. I put a bright green spinner on mine and into the water they go.

We could not beleive our eyes while fishing. The fish were jumping right out of the water like crazy. I have never seen that before, quite the site to see. He had a blast even though I knew that he probably wouldn't catch anything with his setup, but he didn't mine. I managed to catch 2 catfish 2-3lbs. Everytime a fish would jump my son would try to cast to that same spot. On my last through out I hooked something and it was BIG. I started to reel and then I realized that I was snagged. So I tried to un snag it and it did or so I thought. While reeling it in I saw that I had lost the spinner. My favourite (only) spinner but oh well.

We then packed up and he was alittle upset that he didn't catch anything but he knew that we were heading to Scugog today so he didn't mind. I told him that I will go online to the OFC Community and ask them what we could use for night fishing.

So here I am. I'm new at fishing so I don't know to much but I like to ask you guys and girls what should we be looking for for night time fishing? For my son (5yr) and myself.

Thank you in advance, Ryan & Brady.

Night fishing? Most of mine has been for bass, but walleye and anything that will bite also. Live bait works day or night, nightcrawlers, minnows. To keep a kid interested it might be the way to go, most species will eat them, for kids fishing means catching. To many boring nights of not catching might cause the interest level to drop.

The natural smell, motion, of live bait, a wounded struggling baitfish, prepared baits for cats, store bought or chicken livers and such., although minnows and crawlers have worked just as well for me for cats.

Basic bass tackle, top water lures, and everything else, amazing how small a lure they can find in the dark, it doesn`t have to be a noise maker type lure. Dark 4 inch worm on a jig head if the water is not too weedy or full of snags, texas rigged if there is junk in the water. Small jig and pork rind, a lot of baits can work. Just me but for kids I am more interested in them catching any fish than a big one, that can come later.

The 1 1/2-2 inch crappie, panfish jigs work, small enough for any fish to eat them. I haven`t caught many cats on artificial lures, more of a rarity than rule. Bass, walleye, panfish, sheephead, the odd muskie hookup( I don`t fish for them on purpose, enough trouble in daylight) like one pike.

Light attracts baitfish, lights on a dock, near shore. not legal in places to intentionly bring your own in places, but use fixed ones. How you go about it depends on what you are after.

Night is nice, the crowds are usually gone, fish tend to move closer to shore to feed.

Try casting a Bigger rapala along weededges for larger active walleye at night, or choose a 7-10 foot

flat and cast a Wally Minnow or Wally Diver... also many Muskies are caught at night , be prepared.

or you can suspend a LIVELY minnow on a glow-in -the-dark bobber in these areas, this way you will catch inactive fish as well. find a place adjacent to deep water 25ft.+with structure [ these spots hold panfish during the day] between 7-15 feet, predatory fish come in at around dusk and into the night to feed.

:Gonefishing:

GOOD LUCK>>>>>ZZZZZZZING!>>>>>>SNAP!!!!

The little ones can get just about anything on a live worm.

If you want to cast. There are good suggestions here.

I like large Rapalas for casting at night when targeting walleye.

Wally Divers are a good choice too.

A magnum Rapala in firetiger colour caught me the fish in my avatar.

Here's a better look.

med_gallery_48_98_102204.jpg