Boat & Park Recommendations

B Diddy

Hey Gang.....mostly a lurker on here, but occasionally look for help. Here goes.......I may be interested in getting a new boat. We have a tin banger that I love to hit back lakes in, but my 2 boys are getting older & my wife seems to be gaoning interest in fisshing so we are having thoughts on a more family size boat. I would be looking to fish out of it comfortably & probably drag a kid around a lake on a tube or something. And of course the occasional pleasure cruise. Keep in mind I'm the type that likes a good product but have to think budget also. I had the legend fish & ski type boats in mind & will be picking their brains this weekend, but if anyone else has other thoughts on different brands or dealers I'd love to hear them.

Down the road we also may be looking into getting ourselves set up in a trailer park since cottages seem so out of reach for the average joe. Anybody have good words to say about any parks. Looking for a park on a good fishing lake, family orientated & ATV friendly.

Look forward to the responses!!

Bill

AS far as boats, you can't go wrong with Crestliner, Smokercraft, Princecraft and the similar boats. All have fish/ski type boats.

If money is no object Lunds are the boat of choice and for those on a budget, Legends offer great value for money.

IF you'd like a cedar strip, one member here makes them, too.

you should check into the Tracker Targa series lineup, lotsa bang for the buck, it's a multipurpose boat, great to fish from and very user freindly.

or wait till later this fall and pick up a 2 year old boat that still has warranty for 1/2 tha price of a new one. you have alot of choices.

anyway good luck in yer searches.

Muskieman.

Thanks for the responses guys. We checked into the tracker boats today....seem like a good boat. The Targa line is a little out of reach for us, but we checked out the Pro Guide V16 WT with an 75 HP Opti Max Merc. I think that will be the type of boat we are in the market for.

I heard Legend boats are not very well built so I think we will stay away from them.

I like the idea of saving some $$$$ & getting used but we went that route for our ATV's & ended losing money trading in for new at the end of the day.

Anyone have specific dealers they have bought from for good prices & service. We are in the Bolton area.

Bill

do lots of homework & ask lots of questions before settling on a trailer park - rules & certain fee's vary by park - at some parks now, trailer owners are being stuck into municipal taxes where the park owner is paying tax on the whole property allready (double dipping Gov't)

Crestliner, Tracker, Smoker Craft & Sylvan - good brands of boats to look into

I believe Legend uses Smokercraft hulls.

At least the one we have is a Smokercraft.

Had it since it was new in 1990. No problems.

Legend has been known for underpowering their boats to keep

prices down, then getting some more $$$ out of you on the upgrade.

I believe that Sylvan and Legend hulls are both made by Smokercraft; so they are most likely of similar quality. It may not make sense to avoid one and buy the other.

I heard a lot of bad things about Legend quality 15 years ago. Most of the recent reviews have been more positive. As already mentioned, their packages are very underpowered; be sure to include an upgrade to higher power motor in your budget if you do go with a legend.

I think that I got good value for my money with my Alumacraft Lunker V16 Ltd. I purchased it in 1994 and haven't had any problems.

Look into the Lund boats if possible. I had mine up for sale for half the price of new this spring. For trailer parks look into the Tri Lakes areas such as Camp Ashtabula, Elim Lodges, Camp Fisherman, Golden Beach Resort, Elmhirst resort or if you want to go to BOQ Merland Park may be a good choice.

If your going aluminum Lund is definatly the way to go.

Are you completly against fierglass fish 'n Ski's?

Ther are some reallyt nice ones on the market now by Rinker, Glastron and Four Winn's

I have a Glastron bowrider I have converted to a Fish 'n Ski and I was in the market for an alluminum, but the gas savings going with an inboard are so huge that I don't think I will ever go the route of an outboard.

I can fish and tube with the kids all weekend for 2 or 3 weekends on a 90 liter tank of gas.