help!!! small boat advice/experience needed

stuntman

My crummy car has a total weight limit in the manual of 800lbs!!! (Its a Honda civic that wont die)

the good news is that I I have an excuse not to tow around large obnoxious inlaws.

The bad news is that it severely limits my boat towing capabilities, I recon I can tow, trailer and all, about 450lbs.

If I was solo I would not mind doing the kayak or pontoon fishing, but I am a social type of guy.

So I have been looking at some of the following types of boats:

http://www.fogdog.com/fog-kl-industries-ba...pi-2277228.html

http://www.1stdirectproducts.com/crawjonboatb.html

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm...y&boat=2265

I live right by lake ontario and some good salmon fishing but dont think it is a good idea to risky my neck in one of these. I also live about an our from the kawarthas so I figure that those lakes, including rice lake, might be more my speed.

Can someone give me some feedback on these small flat bottom boats for fishing?

thanks!

Stuntman

I thought about inflatables like the Sevylor Fish hunter models but think I prefer something with a bit more of a solid feel.

I know zodiacs can have solid bottoms and in an emergency deal with the rough water stuff. I did not see any financial benefit to getting a zodiac over one of the boats in the first post so I think I would prefer a solid model.

Any other reasons I should consider a Zodiac?

Stuntman

I did not know about not being able to stand up on the boats as you stated glen.

Unless its a canoe I am not a fan of putting a boat on my roof, especially since I would be doing it solo most of the time.

Wow, I am not getting any fans of these small boats. I know they are popular in the states, but, maybe the lakes/rivers down there are a bit different.

If I had the vehicle to to it I would rather drop $4000 on a 16ft that could do Lake Ontario and hold 3 or 4 people but my options are limited. Anyone bought a boat like the ones in the first post and regret it?

Stuntman

Edited by stuntman

Hey I was watching a fishing show the other day and the guy was fishing out of the first boat the 10.2 with another guy in some kind of lake in the states I cant remember what his name is now doesn’t come to mind but he’s kind of a big guy and he was standing and wiggling it to show how sturdy it was and I was sturdy let me tell you. It was the exact same boat they had a small trolling motor and they were off. I would go with that all complete and ready to go.

I don't know what one of those 10' tinbangers weigh with a 9.9 hp motor and trailor, but I can't imagine your car would have a problem towing one of those. I used to tow a 14' fiberglass with a 50hp Force with a Mazda Protege without a problem. Also, when the salmon come in closer later in the season and conditions permitting, you will see plenty of guys out on L.O. close to the mouth of the Credit in their tinbangers all rigged up. Zodiak is problably not a bad idea either, you see them out there too, but I must admit its not my first either.

OK...sorry to say this but silvio's and Tackle Busters(observation about river mouths) responses have been the only one of any substance so far (thanks silvio!).

IF someone has a 2000 Honda Civic Sedan (not an Accord or some other car make) and tows a boat I will happily read your post and put some weight to it.

Come on guys I am not looking for guesses. I am not about to risk an accident where my insurer can say that I completely disregarded and exceeded the manufacturers operating specs so big boats are out out out!

Does anyone have experience with these small boats?: Jon boats and "Bass Hound" (a polyethelene boat)

Stuntman

Edited by stuntman

LOL Stuntman, unless you want to be one, those boats are best suited for farm ponds or very small lakes on calm days. Just my opinion that the wake from a cruiser going by might put you in danger.

You don`t normally see boats of that size on Lake Erie around here, even on calm days when I am fishing around the river mouths for steelhead.

Tow vehicles are an important part of the safety thing, mass, a bigger heavier vehicle is going to be less affected by a sudden sway or pull from a lane change or blowout. The boats you have pictured are light and probably fine to pull, but if something bad happens?

I have a 17 foot aluminumn ever pulled in with anything smaller than a Pontiac Grand Prix, 1985 v-8. The current tow vehicle is an Astro van, just guessing about the same mass but smaller engine.

Hey stuntman, my brother Joonmoon has a Crawdad by Coleman. He has had this boat for better than a decade now and loves it. He runs a 2hp gas at one end and a 40lb thrust electric trolling motor on the other end. He and his wife Goog take it everywhere from conservation areas to Kawartha lakes. They tow it in a utility trailer behind a Toyota Previa with a 2.4L 4cyl. I'm sure when he sees this he'll have more good things to say. Here's some pics of what I like to call the "Cooler with Seats".

096796.jpg

060507.jpg

Those are great pics jediangler....a picture says a lot. I can never rely on the manufacturer pics.

Hope to hear from you bro, especially any of hte less safe situations that he ended up in that he would like to avoid again.

Lake Erie and Ontario is out: I remember being on Simcoe in a solid 18 footer when a storm started up.....getting back to save harbour was the scariest 10 minutes I had in a long time. Small lakes, sticking to safe harbours and rivers are good for me, I am tired of missing out on all the potential fun I could have on a small boat.

Stuntman

Well i have good news for you,back in 1993 i pulled a 14ft smokercraft boat,motor,trailer,with a 15hp all over with my honda civic,total weight about 550lbs.....man it was awesome,it towed it with no problem at all just take your time and dont really push it hard and you will be ok....oh ya i like your 3rd option with that tracker boat....go get it and get out there....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: