Nf - Computer Problems

SlowPoke

Hey folks,

My moherboard packed it in and I'm looking for a replacement. If I can find the same model it should be an easy swap... trouble is, I can't find one.

Looking for an ASUS P4P800SE

Board is still under warrenty... anybody ever deal with ASUS?

Any help is appreciated

-Brian

setomonkey: it is under manufacturers warranty but the supplier only offers 1 year. In other words, I pay the shipping and labour for re/re. It would be cheaper to go the warranty route but it could take a month - maybe more with holidays.

terry: thanks for the link, have you dealt with this company? It worries me when they say;

Price: $111.18 CDN

(will ship as soon as possible)

I shouldn't be so paranoid but I'm still waiting for an order of reel parts from BC that said the same thing on thier website ... I ordered in October and they won't return my emails or calls. That reminds me, I should go to PayPal and initiate a claim.

Yeah,I hear ya.....My motherboard went (for the 3rd time)and it took the proccessor and new video card with it ........the board is A-Open and they're replacing it again.New proccessor is costing me $145 plus $45 for a new power supply and the video card is going back to future shop.....hopefully I'll get it back next week..........A-Open has a repair contractor in Markham,sorry ,don't know if asus is the same,but if it's under warranty ,I would look into it...................Chuck.........

I didn't know you could swap out mother boards. I have a computer here that needs a new Motherboard, and was told by a repair place that it would be cheaper to replace the computer...mind you there could also be a problem with the power supply, said he won't know until the mother board is replaced. I was going to do this for my Great Nephews mother but will have to wait until after Christmas.

Maureen

I didn't know you could swap out mother boards. I have a computer here that needs a new Motherboard, and was told by a repair place that it would be cheaper to replace the computer...mind you there could also be a problem with the power supply, said he won't know until the mother board is replaced. I was going to do this for my Great Nephews mother but will have to wait until after Christmas.

Maureen

Terry, thanks for the reply.

Hey Mo, your repair place should be able to test the power supply in about ten seconds. You don't need a functional mo-bo to check it. Swapping in a new mo-bo is easy provided it is identical to the one you're replacing otherwise the computer will not know how to handle the new hardware. A different mo-bo would require booting to the windows cd and re-installing the operating system. Your repair place is correct that it may not be worth replacing the mo-bo if a compatable board can't be found. In my case I require a "socket 478" motherboard... this socket is what your processor plugs into. If I were unable to find a socket 478 board I would have to upgrade rendering my processor and most likely my memory useless. Thus in essence, building a new computer. If your computer is more than 2 years old, it's likely not cost effective to repair it. You may be able to salvage the hard drive and video card, but not in all cases. They keep building a "better" mouse trap.

-Brian