Gas or Rechargeable Coleman Lantern for Pier Fishing?

Canuck2fan

Just at the titles states I am looking for peoples opinions on what type of latern to grab for the upcoming salmon and rainbow seasons. I like to arrive at my spot by 2:30 AM so I am sure to get it.... That means I sometimes have 4 to 5 hrs of darkness to contend with. I have a headlamp and will be getting a camera flash to charge the cleos and other glow baits but I like the idea of having a latern too, especially when there is a group of us fishing.

I am liking the rechargable ones I see except I don't know if they will keep working for 5 hrs when it is minus 20 or colder out. Most rechargable batteries are the pits in cold weather. The fuel ones certainly will work in those temps but the have other drawbacks, such as the cost and having to carry the fuel in either cans or buying and storing a supply of the tanks.

Any experience in how long a coleman rechargable will work when it is cold enough to freeze the knots off of blue spruce?

For me make it propane, not only will you have light, but a heat source to warm your hands as well. Just remember propane stops flowing at -40 F or C so don't go to the sub artic with it.

Edited by Garyv

Try those self powered one. Where you crank the handle for 1 min for 60mins of power!

It's LED technology and lightweight making it easy to carry around. I saw it at Bass Pro and tried it in the store. Looks good. It will not be as bright as the propane Coleman but that could be a good thing too.

i've got a coleman dual mantle lantern on camp fuel... i wouldn't trade it for anything...

also have coleman stoves and a catalytic heater both on campfuel as well...

not a fan of propane or batteries...

TWO THUMBS UP ON THIS ONE :thumbsup_anim:

I bought the Coleman LED lantern from Bass Pro and it works great. The only drawback is that it's not nearly as bright as its propane counterpart. I would recommend that you buy the propane fueled lantern. The will last a hell of a lot longer and not to mention if your hands are freezing, they can somewhat warm them up.