Bluffers Park (NF)

ehg

Took my 4 yr. old daughter to the beach at Bluffers Park in Scarborough since someone at

my workplace said they have a nice beach and you could fish.

Great place for GTA'ers to take their kids in the summer.

Hard to believe this is Toronto! All the sand is combed by a tractor to remove rocks.

Really at first seemed like a different country.

My child loved it down there.

IMG_0004-10.jpg

IMG_0013-1.jpg

Lots of sand to keep the kids happy.

IMG_0014.jpg

Saw some Trumpeter swans by a bridge there, they had black beaks.

IMG_0007-6.jpg

Did the panfish microtube/jig stuff. Caught perch and sunfish.

Also saw my first dreaded goby.

IMG_0009-1.jpg

Anyways, thought i'd put up a summery post, seeing that it was 34 degrees Celcius on my thermometer today.

cheers,

ehg

...what is so wrong with the "Goby"?

There ugly little bait stealers lol. Seriously though.........Im no biologist, but they are an Invasive species that were dropped into the Great lake ecosystem and are not welcome for a few reasons, again im no marine biologist.....But any foreign species is a threat when introduced. One downfall is that they feed on the zebra mussel, which is basically a toxin laden creature that filters the waters of the great lakes. Hence the goby is going to be concentrating those toxins within themselves. And as you follow the foodchain, the smallmouth bass gorge on the goby wihich inturn snowballs the transfer of any toxins found in the goby into any sportfish that feed on them. Im not sure on this, but this is how Ive understood the problem. Also, The goby reproduces quite rapidly and this is a problem for the reasons mentioned above along with the fact that they interfere with catching sportfish on some days........like i said, some days they just deplete your bait without a chance to hook your target species. And again, they are ugly little creatures lol. It was funny because when the BASSMASTERS were here in BUffalo last week, one of the guys on teh podium was asked what made this area such a great smallmouth fishery......and his response was.......Zebra Mussels clearing the waters of the lake (smallmouth are sight feeders and water clarity is key for smallie fishing) and the Goby, because the smallmouth feast on them and that makes for some FAT bass. The goby is plentiful and therefore the smallmouth have no competition for food. Both good points, but both invasive species seen as a detrement by us, were said to be a benefit by pro fisherman. So well see where this whole zebra mussel goby thing goes in the years to come. Im certainly curious.

Scarborough gets a really bad rap, but there are a lot of nice areas...moist of scarborough is ust like any other place.. but there are a few intersections where most of the problems happen, unfotunately..

that beach, believe it or not, is usually perfectly safe to swim... most people don;t know it, but Toronto has some very fine beaches.. anyone every been to Gibraltar Beach on Toronto Island? It's a gorgeous spot, and the water is clear as any beach I've been too! It's also been classified a "Blue Flag" beach...

Anyhow, I've always liked the Bluffs...nice pics!

As dreaded Gobies go, that looks like a keeper!

Seriously, I've caught a few and that's a big one.

Thanks for the hot spot, maybe I'll take my son there.

The beach is real nice on the far east side!

Sorta why i put the post up, thinking someone would take there kid panfishing or to the beach there.

Got tired of the little gobies stealing the worms so put the jig/tube under a float off the bottom.

Not dissing Scarborough, heck i grew up in Oshawa.

cheers,

ehg