New to the site..

azianice

Hi all!

First of all I would like to say what a great forum this is and that I'm quite envious of all the pictures of big fish that you all have caught!

Recently (actually 2 hours ago) I just returned from Silver Lake out near Perth for some camping. Was great fun, and we tried some fishing but were pretty unsuccessful in catching anything over 1.5 lbs.

It was a great experience nonetheless since my friends have never fished before and we had a great time.

We had such a great time actually, that in September we are looking to plan a fishing/camping trip again. I was given the green light on finding a great place to fish and tent camp in the wilderness, so here I am, combing the internet for clues!

So my question to all of you pros is which lake in and around Toronto (about a 3 hour driving distance maximum) can provide tent camping with some semi privacy and some great fishing for Walleye and Bass?

I used to live in Thunder Bay and did some fishing there with my pops and back then, Leeches and minnows seemed to be what we used the most to go fishing (just jigging off the side of the boat really), so I'm not quite sure what the best method of fishing these Central and SE Ontario lakes are to catch these fish! We will be looking to rent an aluminum boat and motor and get out there on the open water, so any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to get them hooked on fishing so I can go out with all em more often so that's why I decided to seek help on this!

Thank you all in advance!

Jon

I drive by that lake every time I go to Ottawa and always wondered how the fishing was.

I`ve seen some boats in there but never actually stopped and fished.

What kind of fish did you guys catch there??

Silver Lake had mainly smallies. The map they gave us basically said there was some Pike, Smallies, and trout in the lake. There was definitely a lot of fish there but unfortunately they were mainly the size of my fist. But we did not fish for very long really and did not end up getting out on the lake until about 9:30 due to some friends having to drive out to get some fishing licenses.

and thank you for the welcoming! I really hope I can find a nice place to camp in the wilderness and fish also. I was looking at Rice Lake or Lake Simcoe...but I don't know if there's tent camping that's pretty natural if I went there? Atleast I couldn't find anything...anyone at all got any ideas?

There is always the Wiarton area... great places to camp and many lakes to trailer to!

Welcome to the OFC community... you have stumbled into a really great place!

Cheers

jen

Thanks for the warm welcoming everyone!

So thus far I've looked around on google and the net for information on the 3 areas that were mentioned in here:

Wiarton Area (georgian Bay / Lake Huron)

Quinte

Kawartha Lakes

I have kind of taken a look at all 3 and I have to say that the Kawartha Lakes seem the best bet for me at the moment.

Wiarton seems nice but Georgian Bay and Lake Huron are huge, and am scared of scampering out there in a dinky 14' aluminum boat. Also I would not know where to fish (and usually the advice given by campground owners have been subpar..or very vague..making it quite difficult).

Quinte seems nice but we are looking for more of a lake experience and I read that Quinte is a river?

At any rate, I will have to visit those two also sometime soon, They sound great, I'm just looking for something a little more traditional and easy to help "set the hook" on my unsuspecting friends to become more serious fishermen.

Kawartha has so many lakes and I've heard so much about the fishing in Rice Lake. Actually every website I see on Rice Lake is about fishing. You guys suggested the Kawartha lakes North of Rice Lake...is it better fishing there? Or just better camping experience? I'm so excited to paln this now!