Lake Erie report July 21

icefisherman

Last minute decision at 3am this morning was to head to Port Burwell and I am glad I did.

Finally the weather man was mostly right.

Was the second boat on the water at 5am.

Had my limit of walleye by 6:45am.

Now what to do.....didn't drive 200km to head back home after fishing only hour and a half. Decided to go after the rainbows. I thought I'll get some since I did well at Nanticoke only a week ago. Yes but NO. Spent the next 5 hours throwing everything I had at them. Changed the speed, went deep and shallow, tried up and down the water column, different colors and presentations.....NOT A SINGLE RAINBOW to be seen?!?

But I kept getting walleye after walleye, after 10 walleyes, after 20 walleyes. It was freaking unbelievable. I've never caught so many walleye in my life. What a day.....Ended up 25 for 29. Pretty good score. My problem was no matter what I did, where I went I couldn’t catch anything else but walleye.......

I was thinking to stay until dark in hope to get at least one rainbow. But then decided to quit at Noon thinking how ticked off I would have been if I burn the whole thank of gas and spend 16 hours on the water and not catch a single rainbow...so I called the day.

At the ramp a guy who got couple rainbows told me he went DEEP...40'+ in 50+ fow. I went down to 35' ...should have tried 45' knowing I got them at Nanticoke that deep last week. Even considered for a moment re-launching my boat again and try deeper but gave up on that creasy idea.

I thought someone is hiding on the bottom and hooking eye after eye on my line and keeping the bows away ;-)

Anyhow...it was not my rainbow day today I guess. Curious to see who else got rainbows today?

Watermelon again did 90% of the damage. Got a few on orange and purple but mostly watermelon. My watermelon spoons are hardly recognizable from all the fish chewing but they still went after them.

Fished 45 to 62 fow...anywhere from 15 to 35' down.

I've been wandering on the way back why did I go to BOQ last November if Burwell has all that top eyes fishery....

Anyhow... I am super motivated now to find out where those bows are hiding from me on the next trip ;-)

Here are few cell phone shoots from today.

Image007.jpg

Image006.jpg

This was the biggest one at 29"

Image010.jpg

And the ones I've kept.

Image005.jpg

What a day!

I’ll remember it for a loooong time ;-)

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Awesome report !!!!!!!!!!!!! :clapping::w00t: right on bud,sounds like it was your day for sure,....thats a very amazing catch,but too bad bout the rainbows but hey the walleyes were co-operating so it was all worth it ,nice pics and great size walleyes for dinner....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Great Catch! I've never fished Erie before, watermelon for walleye...salmon/trout spoons. 35'-45' Deep?...I would have thought 60-100 is deep, I guess thats Erie. I think I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing if I went out there...think I will stick to Simcoe.

If you do decide to try Erie, watermelon is the ticket. Just be sure to pop the seeds out, the walleye will choke on them. ;)

-Brian

Good job Emil, Erie owed you a 25/29 day!!

I didn't do nearly as well on Simcoe but I did manage a personal best rock bass...13"

-Brian

Brian,

I almost came to Simcoe on Sunday but was too tired and missing more then few hours of sleep,so I've decided to give you the chance getting all the Simcoe fish in my absence ;-)

Nice job.

How was the harbour going out, hearing reports that it is tricky navigating your way through the silted in parts.

Well, best thing is to follow someone local as the channel could use a lot of improvement. I almost got stuck thinking I am out of the woods and pressing on the trottle to find out a second later I am touching bottom (mud) in about 2-3 fow. It is tricky navigation until you get out in the open lake.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Well, best thing is to follow someone local as the channel could use a lot of improvement. I almost got stuck thinking I am out of the woods and pressing on the trottle to find out a second later I am touching bottom (mud) in about 2-3 fow. It is tricky navigation until you get out in the open lake.

Thanks, I am heading down there Saturday morning so will just kind of play follow the leader.