Muskie lures and techniques

Burtess

I am going camping on Lower Buckhorn later on this month.

This is the first time I am fishing a body of water that holds muskie and would like to try catching one.

I have my baitcaster rigged up with 30lb Power Pro and have bought a few lures, a Blue Fox Musky Buck #6 bucktail spinner, a Bionic Bucktail spinnerbait, a 7" Red Fin, and a 9" perch coloured Suick.

Teach me please... :thumbsup_anim:

Burt :)

Beware of Lower Buckhorn it has lots of rocky shoals that can damage your motor in no time. Where abouts on the lake are you going camping I can give you some info about potential dangerous areas and some areas to try. You should be able to get into some musky especially with the big bucktails my personal favorite.

Kawartha Kev

We will be camping at the Spring Rock Tent & Trailer Park which is about half way up Deer Bay I think.

I got the topo map from Zamboni for Lower Buckhorn and the whole Deer Bay area looks fairly uneventfull. Seems it just dishes down to about 25' with not too much structure.

Is the northern part of the lake better to fish?

Greencoachdog, I have one similar but with nickel blades.

Pigeontroller, I have a set of long handled long nose pliers (11") and side cutters, and my salmon net. I don't plan on bringing one in the boat if I catch one if at all possible. I would rather release it boat side.

Excuse my ignorance but from reading the various posts on here I am finding out new things every day. I have found out that muskie = pike, or so i thouhgt then i see an advert at the top by a sponsor which says catch Walleye pike and muskie, I am confused can any one point me in the right direction.

Deer Bay is very open but has some good weedlines to fish for the muskies. One of my favorite areas is just up from Deer Bay called Black Duck Bay. It is very weedy but with lots of good shoreline to cast along but be warned there are lots of submerged rock shoals you can also try the many small rock islands going up Deer Bay Reach to the dam in Buckhorn but again I caution you if you get outside the main channel there are lots of submerged rocks especially on the north side of the lake.

Good Luck Kawartha Kev