Fishing on private property connected to public water

On 6/2/2024 at 8:58 AM, Rizzo said:

Beauty spot to live. I grew up not too far away and as a youngster put a canoe in Grenadier once so I could fish your side. Caught a giant carp pretty much out front of your place. I am hoping this Karen was just trying to prevent people from trespassing on your property...hoping.

She definitely said you "don't have the right as a property owner to fish there".  So, we'll see. 

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone, I appreciate them and your stories of the neighborhood. I'm still waiting to hear back from whichever authority tells us either way. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hey All,

Thanks for much again for all the responses. The Toronto Region Conservation Authority called me in response to my email. I spoke to head of water management. I sent him the real estate listing as well. He was pretty great about it, couldn't find any issues on their end as to why I can't. If it's private property, not fishing out of season, have a license, etc. Which was my main concern of TRCA officers showing up at my door to fine me, and not being able to fish there anymore (worst case scenario). 

The city is the "landlord" of the pond so they set the rules for their property, but since we have riparian rights, as it says in the ad, we're permitted, as I thought.  

He gave me the email for the park manager,  they get calls constantly about high park etc people are understandably protective. I'll in the meantime I'll just ignore them.

Or if I'm feeling sassy maybe paddle across and ask to see their (whining) licences, as angler harassment is illegal 😛

Also got this little almost 4lb nugget last Saturday.  

0608.jpg

Edited by arc
  • Like 7

On 6/14/2024 at 9:37 AM, arc said:

He gave me the email for the park manager,  they get calls constantly about high park etc people are understandably protective. I'll in the meantime I'll just ignore them.

Or if I'm feeling sassy maybe paddle across and ask to see their (whining) licences, as angler harassment is illegal 😛

Also got this little almost 4lb nugget last Saturday.  

0608.jpg

There is a park association that is very anti-fishing.  They give TUFA (Toronto Urban Fishing Ambassadors) are lot of trouble when they have fishing events in High Park.

3 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

There is a park association that is very anti-fishing.  They give TUFA (Toronto Urban Fishing Ambassadors) are lot of trouble when they have fishing events in High Park.

It's ridiculous, I've seen the articles on it.

Families bringing their kids to catch sunfish and some bass one day a year is a problem, totally.  

Yes there's always an irresponsible angler who doesn't clean up after themselves, etc but there's also people who don't clean up after themselves in the park also considering the amount of trash I clean up on our side of the pond that floats or blows over etc , Applying the same logic, all humans be banned in the park entirely then also? I'm sure that would go over well. 

This year's bass population is looking pretty awesome though.  I've seen so many swarms of fry this last couple of weeks. Can't wait to see them when they've grown.

28f7lc.jpg

• Like 1