Thoughts on 1990s Boat

1 minute ago, slwndwn said:

He said he got it ready today for you to come see it. He didnt say anything to me about anyone else coming. 

If you want a boat for 4 adults to be comfortable in, then you need a much bigger boat. lol

But wife and a couple kids  getting out a few hours, it's fine. 

80% of the time it'll be no more than me and one other person, usually my son or a buddy... often, I'm alone

It should suit you well then. I was in his shop when you posted it's pending. I think he would have said something if it was someone else. Seems like a decent fella.  I told him I was there on your behalf so he knew what was up and who.

44 minutes ago, bushart said:

Way under powered. 25hp for a 14sc is ok but not great. I've had three 14sc's, two with 25's and one with a 30. The 5hp difference in light boats really wakes them up. I've had some long painfull trips with the 25 where the 30 would have given me pony power to get on top of the waves. My buddy had a 16 lund with a 25 and it was a dog.

I agree with the 4 strokes. I made the change for the wifes enjoyment. 

13 minutes ago, Fishing Rod said:

I had a 1996 Princecraft 169 that I sold in 2020 to buy my Ranger Fisherman (same as the red one in the Meme above)

Amazing boat and fished better than my Ranger. It had the original 90HP Rude on it and rode very well.

What did you like about it? This one is older.  1990. Wish it had a bigger motor. I think if I like this boat, I could upgrade the motor one day.  But not sure how long one should hold on to a boat haul. 

4 minutes ago, siwash said:

What did you like about it? This one is older.  1990. Wish it had a bigger motor. I think if I like this boat, I could upgrade the motor one day.  But not sure how long one should hold on to a boat haul. 

I usually fish by myself and this boat has lots of room to get around. You can land a fish from anywhere. 2 people is fine too. A little deeper makes it warmer. Great hole shot and smooth ride when calm. Storage is pretty decent as well. Fit and finish quality was good. If I really hung it out, I could get 34 mph. It was hard to hit 30 with 2 people.

I sold it because I live on Cooks Bay / Lake Simcoe and the boat got slammed big time when it got rough. It also leaked because there was a patch at the bottom and it was not repaired properly. 

IMG_5934.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siwash said:

I'm wondering if these are the buddies and relatives of the seller!! 😂😂

Really? If your suspect, move along from it, is my new advise. I wouldnt buy something if I thought I was being Bull'd. No one here has any skin in the game. I went to look at it because it seemed to me like you were going to buy junk and it was close. I dont mind helping anyone if the situation allows, but I think I feel alittle offended.

1 hour ago, Fishing Rod said:

I usually fish by myself and this boat has lots of room to get around. You can land a fish from anywhere. 2 people is fine too. A little deeper makes it warmer. Great hole shot and smooth ride when calm. Storage is pretty decent as well. Fit and finish quality was good. If I really hung it out, I could get 34 mph. It was hard to hit 30 with 2 people.

I sold it because I live on Cooks Bay / Lake Simcoe and the boat got slammed big time when it got rough. It also leaked because there was a patch at the bottom and it was not repaired properly. 

IMG_5934.jpg

BTW I sold this boat for $8500 in 2020 

6 hours ago, DD88 said:

What boat did you get?! Congrats! 
Also, did you end up going to see the first boat that started this topic? Was it rough?

The one up north was pretty rough...  this is what I ended up this:

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 1.25.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 1.25.09 PM.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's not perfect but it appears to be a pretty decent boat.  Couple of things (and I'm sure more will come up) will need to be addressed.  It's a used older boat - I realize that it'll require some work and money as I own it.  One worrying thing was that the compression was off by 30 between the 2 cylinders.  He insisted that it ran really well. So we took it out (Owen Sound) and it started easily and ran really well for the 15 min we were out.  We will see... 

Edited by siwash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, siwash said:

It's not perfect but it appears to be a pretty decent boat.  Couple of things (and I'm sure more will come up) will need to be addressed.  It's a used older boat - I realize that it'll require some work and money as I own it.  One worrying thing was that the compression was off by 30 between the 2 cylinders.  He insisted that it ran really well. So we took it out (Owen Sound) and it started easily and ran really well for the 15 min we were out.  We will see... 

NICE RIG >>>CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Have a great season!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats. Always something with boats. I had problems this morning with my Lowrance. That could be a potential 3k. 

Use it for the summer and fix in the off season. Old 2 strokes are pretty simple. Have it honed and re-ringed over the winter. Most likely never been done.

1 hour ago, slwndwn said:

Congrats. Always something with boats. I had problems this morning with my Lowrance. That could be a potential 3k. 

Use it for the summer and fix in the off season. Old 2 strokes are pretty simple. Have it honed and re-ringed over the winter. Most likely never been done.

Honed and re-ringed - Can you expand on this ? Thanks