Help with livewell pump leak

JoshS

Hoping someone here has seen this before and can give me some pointers. I have a significant leak in my aerator pump. Has anyone had this happen with this cartridge style pump before? I'd like to know if this looks like I need to replace the entire housing, or if this is a common issue with just the cartridge and I would be OK to order the cartridge only. Water is leaking out of the top and side notch of the yellow housing.
This happened randomly,  no hard impact to the pump that I know of.

is there a seal in the cartridge that could of broken down and caused this?

The pump is a 750gph Mayfair Marine cartridge pump made by Johnson pumps.

Thanks for your help

pump leak.png

Not cracked anywhere I can see.  The leak just happened last weekend. 

TJ - Yeah I read there is a o ring around the cartridge.  Just not sure if it's the culprit. Guessing it is.  Unfortunately the cartridge was hard to remove due to where it's installed and I couldn't get it out to look at it, and I left the boat up north, gonna give it another try when back on saturday. 

I just ordered the cartridge to replace, hoping that is it.  Got a plug for the intake so at least I can fish a bit if I can't fix it... just in case the new cartridge doesn't fix it, or if I can't get the old one out to replace it.

Crazy to think that an o-ring on the pump is the thing stopping water from pouring in !  

56 minutes ago, BITEME said:

oh the plot thickens  .....there could be an internal check valve as well might only be as bad as a piece of curd sticking it open

Maybe you're right. Would think it would just fill with water but not leak like that. Not really sure how these work.  I'm thinking it must be the o-ring that went.  If/when I can get out the cartridge that'll tell the story hopefully.  I think this is the pump, you can see the ring:

image.png.8ee90d497fcd43771ef5494d0c6b9aa7.png

More to the plot... this pump stopped working last year.  But never leaked water until last weekend... didn't notice till I randomly ran my bilge and when it never shut off, had a look in the bilge and saw water pouring in through the pump housing.   Lucky my bilge works well.

Was hoping someone here might have the same pump and seen this happen before...

Replaced the cartridge and all good now. 

Crazy how much water the pump leaked into the boat.  Mid summer failure out of the blue too, not ice related.  If I didn't randomly run the bildge that day wouldn't of noticed until I saw water creep on the floor

13 minutes ago, JoshS said:

Replaced the cartridge and all good now. 

Crazy how much water the pump leaked into the boat.  Mid summer failure out of the blue too, not ice related.  If I didn't randomly run the bildge that day wouldn't of noticed until I saw water creep on the floor

That's why an auto switch on your bilge is a must.... Just my two cents or .0001 US 

• Like 1