Self-inflating life jackets, why not for weak swimmers?

big guy

5 hours ago, big guy said:

Was researching the purchase of self-inflating life jackets and apparently they aren't recommended for people who either can't or are weak swimmers. Does anyone know why this is? 

My assumption is that they do have a failure rate while your standard foam life preserver does not. 

I’ve heard a few stories of them not deploying, however let me make it very very clear after going through this entire dilemma myself. I stopped wearing the auto while my boat was under power, and quickly realized how stupid I was being because it meant I was wearing nothing while I was fishing a lot. Just dumb logic being scared of my auto not inflating while under power but wearing nothing while fishing instead of just wearing the auto 100% of the time. 

i find my auto bugs me a bit when it’s hot so I don’t typically wear it when the water is warm I go back to wearing a vest while driving but in the fall and spring when the water is cold Or I’m fishing big water I wear the auto 100% of the time and basically don’t notice it

I had my inflatable accidentally go off in the fall while duck hunting, and i tell ya, by the time it actually inflated, I would have been drowned. It took a long time, and never actually fully inflated. Definitely do no reccomend for cold weather situations. 

S. 

• Like 3

there you go, and its possible in sinkers case there was something defective going on. There's a few stories from the bass boat central forums as well of guys having them not inflate. The problem once again is that these same guys then wear the vest while driving but then take it off to fish.

Unless you are going to fish with the vest on, wear the auto. The odds of your auto failing and you dying are nowhere near as high as you simply falling in and dying while wearing nothing as your boat drifts away from you in the wind and you drown because you are not able to swim 500 meters while wearing a full set of clothing.

Want to know the number one consistent thing in basically 99.9% of on water fatalities? Alchohol and lack of life vests.

Edited by AKRISONER