wireless Motor Guide trolling motor help

setomonkey

Hi all,

Just back from a week-long stay at Lost Lake Lodge near Gowganda, booked on a recommendation of Lew's. Had a great time, met an OFC member there (bronzeback). Will post a report with some pics when I get a chance.

I'm asking a question for a friend, who got a new Princecraft boat this spring.

He's been having problems with the trolling motor that comes with it. It's a wireless Motor Guide, 55 lb thrust. Sometimes the motor would respond to the control, sometimes not. The trolling battery was fully charged and the battery for the remote control panel was brand-new, and we changed it too just in case the battery was a dud.

My buddy has brought the motor back to the dealer twice and they can't figure out what's going on. They say they test it and it runs fine for them.

I think my friend should just insist on a brand-new unit, preferably a cable steer, but in the meantime, does anybody have any experience with the wireless remotes and has any idea what to check?

Mike

Mike, good to hear you enjoyed your trip to Lost Lake and I'll be watching for your report.

I haven't heard much about the problems in the wireless foot pedals, but I know there were plenty of problems with the circuit boards in the wired pedals in the PD models, at least a couple years back, so maybe it's the same type of problem. I had a PD model myself that only last just over one season before it was totally pooched.

You may be able to get some info from Aikmens about any ongoing problems

I have that same exact motor on my boat. I've found sometimes I press the "ON/OFF" switch and the motor won't respond to the speed button until I press the ON/OFF button again. You can turn the motor off by pressing the "-" on the speed button until the motor quits and then press the "+" button to start again without pressing the ON/OFF button, which is what I usually do. This unit could use some sort of indicator light to tell when the unit is on or off.... but all in all, I love mine!!!

Hi Lew, Thanks, I'll tell my friend to look into it to see if there are similar problems in the circuit boards.

Glen, that's not it, sometimes the remote works fine and then suddenly it stops. No beeps, can't turn it on/off, can't change directions, etc.

I agree that the motor would be much better if there was an indicator light to tell you that it's on (or off), and also a thrust indicator to tell you how much power you're using, rather than listening to the hum to guess how high you've got it.

Mike

I suggest taking you battery out of your remote and cleaning it,at times some dust or dirt can somehow cause problems with the contac of the battery inside the remote,Also make sure the batterry is tight in the remote

Make sure your antenna is visible

My suggestion,ive encountered the problems and found those solution to some of the remote probs

if you have probs stil,please email me and we can get some assistance for you

be good

marc